Will a Carbonate React with Carbonic Acid? A Chemical Reaction Explanation

In summary, the conversation is about whether a carbonate will react with carbonic acid. The answer is no, as carbonic acid does not exist in its free state and the concentration of hydrogen ions is too low to react with carbonate ions. The pH of "dissolved CO2" is not low enough to allow for the reaction. Acid-base reactions require the acid to be acidic enough to react with the base, which is why carboxylic acids react with hydrogencarbonate but phenols do not.
sgstudent
hi i was wondering if a carbonate will react with carbonic acid. such as calcium carbonate with carbonic acid: CaCO3+H2CO3CaCO3+CO2+H2O. Thanks for the help!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thanks for the help! Borek!

Carbonic acid doesn't exist in the free state. When CO2 dissoves in water an equilibrium is set up between CO2 molecules (possibly solvated) and water on one hand and an aquated proton (a hygrogen ion) and the aquated hydrogencarbonate ion on the other. The concentration of hydrogen ions is too low to react with carbonate ions from the calcium carbonate so no reaction! Or in other words, the pH of "dissolved CO2" is not low enough to allow reaction with carbonate ions. In any acid-base reaction the acid must be acidic enough to react with the base which is why carboxylic acids (like acetic acid) react with hydrogencarbonate but phenols don't.
Hope this helps.

Hello! Thank you for your question. Yes, a carbonate can react with carbonic acid to form carbon dioxide and water. This reaction is known as a decomposition reaction, where a compound breaks down into simpler substances. In this case, calcium carbonate (CaCO3) breaks down into calcium oxide (CaO) and carbon dioxide (CO2) in the presence of carbonic acid (H2CO3). This reaction is commonly seen in nature, such as in the formation of stalactites and stalagmites in caves. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Will a Carbonate React with Carbonic Acid? A Chemical Reaction Explanation

1. How can I speed up a chemical reaction?

There are a few ways to increase the rate of a chemical reaction. One method is to increase the temperature, as higher temperatures provide more energy for the reactant molecules to collide and form products. Another way is to add a catalyst, which lowers the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. Mixing or stirring the reactants can also speed up the reaction by bringing more molecules into contact with each other.

2. What factors can affect the outcome of a chemical reaction?

There are several factors that can influence the outcome of a chemical reaction. These include temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of a catalyst, surface area of reactants, and the nature of the reactants themselves. In addition, any impurities or contaminants present in the reaction mixture can also impact the result.

3. How can I tell if a chemical reaction is exothermic or endothermic?

An exothermic reaction releases heat energy, while an endothermic reaction absorbs heat energy. To determine which type of reaction is occurring, you can measure the temperature change of the reaction mixture. If the temperature increases, it is an exothermic reaction, and if it decreases, it is an endothermic reaction.

4. What safety precautions should I take when working with chemicals?

When working with chemicals, it is important to always wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. Make sure to read and understand the safety data sheet for the chemicals you are using, and follow all recommended handling and disposal procedures. In case of any accidents or spills, know the location of safety equipment and how to use it.

5. How can I predict the products of a chemical reaction?

To predict the products of a chemical reaction, you need to know the reactants and the type of reaction taking place. For example, if you have a single displacement reaction, you can use the activity series to determine which metal will replace another metal in a compound. Balancing the equation and following the law of conservation of mass can also help you determine the products of a reaction.