Why when the axis is pivoted, there is no torque in its direction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torque not being able to be transferred through a pivot in the direction of its axis. This is due to the frictionless nature of the pivot, which is unable to create a reactive torque in the opposite direction. This is important in situations where a spinning wheel needs to remain on its vertical plane of rotation, such as in mechanical gyroscopes. The conversation also mentions the use of two pivoted axes in gyroscopes to isolate the wheel from any torques.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Why when the axis is pivoted, there is no torque in its direction?
Relevant Equations
All below.
I want to say [the bodies is under gravity field]:
1590410674168.png
There cannot be torque alonge AB "since it is pivoted"
1590410704832.png

i think i am missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it says that there cannot be a torque vector along the direction of the axis, at least not applied by the bearings where the axis is held (A and B in the upper picture).

I find it bad form that angular velocity ω is depicted as physical curved arrows in the upper picture and as a vector (labeled 'Spin') in the lower picture. The ω vector is pointing kind of to the front right and the Ω vector would be pointed up in the first picture.
The lower picture doesn't show anything being done to the axis A-B, but it looks like they want to apply torque or rotation to the base in the upper picture. It isn't fully described. There will then very much be torque applied 'to' A and B, but not torque 'along' A and B. The torque vector applied to A and B would (for a while) point upward instead of along the axis. As far as I can tell, that's what is meant. The text quoted doesn't seem like the original text. The precession of the wheel will nevertheless generate rotation 'along' the A-B axis. The wheel is not free to move in all directions, so angular momentum will be lost to the base/ground.

Likes LCSphysicist
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: Why when the axis is pivoted, there is no torque in its direction?
Relevant Equations:: All below.

I think it means that "since it is pivoted and there is no friction in the hinges A and B"

Likes etotheipi and LCSphysicist
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: Why when the axis is pivoted, there is no torque in its direction?
Relevant Equations:: All below.
The whole idea of the contraption is that regardless the movement of the base, the rotating mass remains on its rotational plane and can be used as a spatial reference (gyroscope principle).
Why having articulations (pivot points) of reduced friction between both is important?

Yes, it is pivoted without frictionless.
I think this is important cause the motion will not be dumped, i think the friction would somehow apply a torque.
Without this force, we will have just the normal in a vertical plane, whose torque is not in AB direction.
Even so, i am in a little doubt. In all the cases there is no torque in the direction of the axis pivoted, or just in this special cases?

1590424392204.png

This question too, since it is pivoted, we could apply conversation of angular momentum about it. Because there is no torque about it.

LCSphysicist said:
... Even so, i am in a little doubt. In all the cases there is no torque in the direction of the axis pivoted, or just in this special cases?
What they mean is that torque can't be transferred through a pivot in the direction of its axis.

Let's say the base is connected to the structure of an airplane that is banking to turn.
The body of the airplane is doing some mechanical work on that base by transferring or applying a rolling torque in the same direction of the axis of the pivots.

The same torque would be transferred to the rotating mass of the gyroscope, forcing it to deviate from its original vertical plane of rotation, which we need to create an artificial Earth's horizon that serves us as spatial reference during poor visual conditions.

If those two pivots exist, then that disturbing torque can't be transferred to the wheel, which will happily remain spinning on the needed vertical plane of reference.
The pivots receive that disturbing torque but, because their frictionless nature, are unable to create a reactive torque of equal magnitude and opposite direction (Newton's law #3).

The pivots can still transfer linear forces and disturbing movements from the base to the spinning wheel, and even any torque that is applied in a direction that differs from the direction of the pivoted axis.

That is the reason for mechanical gyroscopes to have two pivoted axes arranged at 90 degrees between them, in such a way that they work as a Cardan type coupling, isolating the spinning wheel from any torques, regardless the direction those may come from.

Gyroscope_operation.gif

Last edited:
LCSphysicist said:
View attachment 263479
This question too, since it is pivoted, we could apply conversation of angular momentum about it. Because there is no torque about it.
Although I don't understand this problem, whatever torque that bug is generating while walking around the ring can't be transferred to the table via the pivots; therefore, the ring is free to tilt around the pivots.

Likes LCSphysicist
LCSphysicist said:
Yes, it is pivoted without frictionless.
I think this is important cause the motion will not be dumped, i think the friction would somehow apply a torque.
Without this force, we will have just the normal in a vertical plane, whose torque is not in AB direction.
Even so, i am in a little doubt. In all the cases there is no torque in the direction of the axis pivoted, or just in this special cases?
Perhaps your confusion is that as the platform is rotated the cradle holding the disc will rotate about the AB axis. But that does not imply a torque of any significance; the cradle+disc is merely moving so as to maintain its angular momentum. To inhibit that rotation, e.g. by friction, would require a torque.

Likes charminglystrange, etotheipi and LCSphysicist

Related to Why when the axis is pivoted, there is no torque in its direction?

1. Why is there no torque when the axis is pivoted?

There is no torque because the axis is the point of rotation, and therefore, there is no distance between the applied force and the axis. Torque is defined as the product of force and distance, so when the distance is zero, the torque is also zero.

2. How does the direction of the axis affect the torque?

The direction of the axis does not affect the torque. Torque is determined by the perpendicular distance between the axis of rotation and the line of action of the force. As long as this distance is zero, the direction of the axis does not matter.

3. Can torque be created when the axis is pivoted?

No, torque cannot be created when the axis is pivoted. Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object, and in order for torque to exist, there must be a distance between the applied force and the pivot point. When the axis is the pivot point, there is no distance, and therefore, no torque can be created.

4. Why is torque important in rotational motion?

Torque is important in rotational motion because it is what causes an object to rotate. Just like how a force causes linear motion, torque causes rotational motion. It is a crucial concept in understanding the movement of objects in circular or rotational motion.

5. How does the lever arm affect the torque when the axis is pivoted?

The lever arm, or the perpendicular distance between the axis of rotation and the line of action of the force, determines the magnitude of the torque when the axis is pivoted. The longer the lever arm, the greater the torque, and vice versa. However, when the axis is the pivot point, the lever arm is zero, and therefore, there is no torque.