Why we know spin vector is an axial vector?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of orbit angular momentum and spin in quantum mechanics. It is explained that while orbit angular momentum is an axial vector, spin is also an axial vector due to its relation to the Levi-Civita tensor. The conversation also mentions the role of spin in relativistic quantum mechanics and its conservation.
ndung200790
Please teach me this:
We know that orbit angular momentum is the product of coordinate operator vector and momentum operator,so when we reflect the coordinate system the angular momentum is unchanging(axial vector).But I do not understand why spin vector is axial vector.
Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question. I think that spin was introduced just as another moment of momentum, in addition to the orbital moment of momentum. So all the mathematics is very similar, including the axialness.
One way to think of spin moment of momentum is that the particle performs fast circular motion around some average position, and then spin is again product of position vector and momentum. This picture has however the problems that the particle should then radiate electromagnetic waves, which was not recognized in experiments.

hi ndung200790! :smile:
ndung200790 said:
… But I do not understand why spin vector is axial vector.

we can't add axial vectors and non-axial vectors (if forget the correct name :redface:)

if spin wasn't axial, we wouldn't be able to interchange spin angular momentum and orbital angular momentum :wink:

Unfortunately this argument is not true since the weak-interaction current is precisely of (V-A) form, i.e., you subtract the axial-vector from the vector current. Of course, your argument is true, when considering only parity-conserving interactions (strong, electromagnetic).

Further, in relativistic quantum mechanics there is no unique frame-independent splitting of orbital angular momentum and spin. Thus it is not easy to answer the question within relativistic theory, but of course total angular momentum must be an axial vector.

ndung200790 said:
PWe know that orbit angular momentum is the product of coordinate operator vector and momentum operator,so when we reflect the coordinate system the angular momentum is unchanging(axial vector). But I do not understand why spin vector is axial vector.
Let's write the (classical) orbital angular momentum tensor (components) as
$$
J_{ij} ~=~ x_i p_j - x_j p_i ~.
$$
As you said, this does not change under a coordinate reflection.

But this is often written in the form ##L = x \times p## or, with explicit indices, as
$$
L_i ~=~ \varepsilon_{ijk} x^j p^k
$$
where ##\varepsilon_{ijk}## is the Levi-Civita antisymmetric symbol, and the Einstein summation convention is used.

Now, ##\varepsilon_{ijk}## are components of a pseudo-tensor, since it also changes sign under a reflection. Therefore the ##L_i## form a pseudo-vector (which is another name for "axial vector".)

Here's some Wiki links for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi-Civita_tensor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_vector

Hi Vanhees71!
Do you mean that in relativistic QM the sum of orbit angular momentum and spin is conservable,then spin must be axial vector?

Related to Why we know spin vector is an axial vector?

1. Why is the spin vector considered an axial vector?

The spin vector is considered an axial vector because it follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you curl the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the spin, your thumb will point in the direction of the vector. Axial vectors are defined by this property of following the right-hand rule.

2. What is the significance of the spin vector being an axial vector?

The significance of the spin vector being an axial vector lies in its relationship to rotational symmetry. Axial vectors are conserved under a reflection transformation, meaning that their direction remains unchanged when reflected. This is important in understanding the behavior of particles with spin, as it allows for the conservation of angular momentum.

3. How is the spin vector related to angular momentum?

The spin vector is related to angular momentum as it represents the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It is a measure of how much a particle is spinning on its own axis, and is quantized in units of Planck's constant. The direction of the spin vector determines the orientation of the particle's angular momentum.

4. Can the spin vector be measured directly?

No, the spin vector cannot be measured directly. Instead, it is inferred through experiments and theoretical calculations. The spin vector is a quantum mechanical property and cannot be observed in the same way as classical properties like position or velocity.

5. How does the spin vector differ from the orbital angular momentum vector?

The spin vector differs from the orbital angular momentum vector in several ways. First, the spin vector is an intrinsic property of a particle, while the orbital angular momentum depends on the particle's position and motion. Additionally, the spin vector is quantized in units of Planck's constant, while the orbital angular momentum can take on any continuous value. Finally, the spin vector is an axial vector, while the orbital angular momentum is a polar vector.