Why was my thread about civilizations closed on this science forum?

• Thread starter Lobos
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a thread being closed and the reason behind it. The person asking questions about civilizations and social sciences felt that their questions were not being answered in a friendly manner and that the accusations made against them were not honest. The response from the forum was that non-science discussions are not a good fit for their purpose and they prefer discussions based on facts and logic.
Lobos
Someone closed my thread, for what reason? I was asking questions about civilizations and the fundamental ideas that thrive within them. I'm a student looking into the social science and history of civilizations.

Likes Tosh5457
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't lock it, but I can say that the thread seemed to me like idle speculation, which isn't something we allow here, even for (especially for?) social sciences. If this is for a class, you are better off doing actual research.

People can correct me if my questions are not structured adequately. Well, one person was nice enough to reply, why can't everyone here be that nice?

Lobos said:
People can correct me if my questions are not structured adequately. Well, one person was nice enough to reply, why can't everyone here be that nice?
I'm sorry, but it isn't an issue of being "nice" -- we don't allow idle speculation and even just correcting the idle speculation is allowing it to continue. Idle speculation really isn't a very effective way to learn and we don't want to encourage that.

As we discussed, your question is philosophy, not science, and is not allowed.

I was just asking questions. We discussed ideas related to social theory in political science so I thought it would be okay to discuss that here. I'm trying to be as friendly as possible, but I feel like I'm not receiving friendly responses by you two.

Is there any variation on "no, we don't allow that here" that you would consider friendly?

I prefaced my second post with "I'm sorry" to try to be as soft as possible. Not sure what else I could say.

This is a science forum and some non-science discussions just aren't a good fit for what we are about. Philosophy and social sciences have long been problematic here because people tend to see the "softness" of rigor as an invitation for an "anything goes" speculative discussion. We want discussion based on facts and logic; scientific rigor.

Last edited:
Likes gracy
Well, "No, we don't allow those sort of questions here, sorry." followed by some suggestions on who to ask these questions. That may have been the answer, instead I was accused of "philosophical meandering", and my questions labeled "meaningless", when my questions were merely to find out info, or to be constructively corrected if my approach was wrong. Just like the other questions I posted in previous threads.

russ_watters said:
I prefaced my second post with "I'm sorry" to try to be as soft as possible. Not sure what else I could say.

This is a science forum and some non-science discussions just aren't a good fit for what we are about. Philosophy and social sciences have long been problematic here because people tend to see the "softness" of rigor as an invitation for an "anything goes" speculative discussion. We want discussion based on facts and logic; scientific rigor.

That's good. Just felt a little hostility from certain words, and felt like certain accusations were not honest. Thanks for the response.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to Why was my thread about civilizations closed on this science forum?

1. Why was my thread closed without any notice?

It is possible that your thread may have violated the forum's rules or guidelines, which resulted in its closure without notice. Please review the forum's rules and guidelines to understand why your thread may have been closed.

2. Can I request for my thread to be reopened?

Yes, you can request for your thread to be reopened by contacting the forum moderators or administrators. However, please keep in mind that the decision to reopen a closed thread ultimately depends on the forum's rules and guidelines.

3. Will I be given a reason for why my thread was closed?

In most cases, the forum moderators or administrators will provide a reason for why a thread was closed. However, if the reason is not explicitly stated, you can politely ask for clarification.

4. Can I appeal the closure of my thread?

Yes, you can appeal the closure of your thread by contacting the forum moderators or administrators and explaining why you believe the closure was unjustified. However, please keep in mind that the forum's rules and guidelines will still be taken into consideration.

5. Is there a time limit for when a thread can be closed?

The time limit for when a thread can be closed varies depending on the forum's rules and guidelines. Some forums may close threads after a certain period of inactivity, while others may close threads if they violate the rules and guidelines at any time. Please review the forum's rules and guidelines for more information.