Why there's always wind with each earthquake aftershock?

In summary, the speaker lives in Chengdu, China and has noticed a wind blowing during aftershocks of the recent earthquake. They wonder about the scientific explanation for this phenomenon. Another person points out that there is no research on this topic and suggests considering statistical relevance. They also mention that sometimes wind can increase stress in faults. The conversation ends with sharing a link to a website that discusses different theories about predicting earthquakes, but the speaker advises not to fully believe in them as they are just perceptions.
est
Hi everyone, I live in Chengdu, China where as many of you may know suffers a terrible earthquake aftershock nowadays. But during every aftershock there's always a wind blowing from nowhere. I wonder why? Many of my classmates & friends notice this as well. Are there any scientific explanations?

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Hi, Est I hope that you're alright.

Good question though. I don't believe that there is any research for this. Of course you need to challenge the statistical relevance first. How about wind, for instance, when there are no aftershocks; and have there really been no aftershocks when there was no wind?

even a aftershock is a foreshock for another aftershock...
sometimes wind tend to increase stress in the faults...

check this link...some people believe in the points given in this site...don't completely believe in them ...these are just their perception...
http://www.freewebz.com/eq-forecasting/128.html

Related to Why there's always wind with each earthquake aftershock?

1. Why is there wind with each earthquake aftershock?

The wind that is often experienced during an earthquake aftershock is caused by the displacement of air as the Earth's crust shifts and moves. This movement creates a pressure difference, which results in the winds that are felt during aftershocks.

2. Is the wind always in the same direction during aftershocks?

No, the direction of the wind can vary during aftershocks. It is dependent on the direction and magnitude of the movement of the Earth's crust during the earthquake. Aftershocks can occur in any direction and therefore the wind direction can also change.

3. How strong can the wind be during an earthquake aftershock?

The strength of the wind during an aftershock can vary depending on the magnitude of the earthquake and the resulting movement of the Earth's crust. In some cases, the wind can be strong enough to cause damage to structures or knock down trees and power lines.

4. Can the wind during aftershocks be dangerous?

While the wind itself may not be directly dangerous, it can cause damage to structures and infrastructure that has already been weakened by the earthquake. It is important to be cautious and aware of potential hazards during aftershocks, including the effects of wind.

5. Why do some aftershocks have more wind than others?

The amount of wind experienced during an aftershock can vary due to a number of factors. These can include the magnitude and direction of the earthquake, the location and depth of the aftershock, and the topography of the area. All of these factors can affect the displacement of air and therefore the strength of the wind during aftershocks.