Why there is 2[itex]\pi[/itex] in every dirac delta function

In summary, the convention of including 2\pi in the delta function arises from the fact that the integral over the momentum space is a sum of two terms, each of which has a 2\pi factor.
nadia8999
in QF, every dirac delta function is accompanied by [itex]2\pi[/itex],i.e.[itex](2\pi)\delta(p-p_0)[/itex] or [itex](2\pi)^3\delta(\vec{p}-\vec{p_0})[/itex]

the intergral element in QF is [itex]\int\frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{2E_P}[/itex], it comes from the integral element [itex]\int\frac{d^4p}{(2\pi)^4}(2\pi)\delta(p^2-m^2)[/itex],I want to know why there is [itex]2\pi[/itex]in the second equation. Is it a convention? Is so where does the [itex]2\pi[/itex]comes from originally.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a convention, where you shift all the [itex]2 \pi[/itex] factors around in quantum mechanics or quantum field theory and where to put the - sign in the exponential. In the HEP community the most common convention is to put all the [itex]2\pi[/itex]'s to the momentum-space integrals, i.e., you define Green's functions etc. as

[tex]G(x)=\int_{\mathbb{R}^4} \frac{\mathrm{d}^4 p}{(2 \pi)^4} \tilde{G}(p) \exp(-\mathrm{i} p \cdot x),[/tex]

where I used the west-coast-metric convention, i.e.,

[tex]p \cdot x=p_{\mu} x^{\mu}=p^0 x^0-\vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}.[/tex]

Thus, the inverse reads

[tex]\tilde{G}(p)=\int_{\mathbb{R}^4} \mathrm{d}^4 x G(x) \exp(+\mathrm{i} p \cdot x).[/tex]

The only exception are the field operators themselves. Their Fourier representation in terms of creation and annihilation operators read (here for the scalar Klein-Gordon field)

[tex]\hat{\phi}(x)=\int_{\mathrm{R}^3} \frac{\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p}}{\sqrt{(2 \pi)^3 2 E_{\vec{p}}}} \left [\hat{a}(\vec{p}) \exp(-\mathrm{i} p \cdot x) + \hat{b}^{\dagger}(\vec{p}) \exp(+\mathrm{i} p \cdot x) \right]_{p^0=E_{\vec{p}}},[/tex]

with [itex]E_{\vec{p}}=\sqrt{m^2+\vec{p}^2}[/itex].

The reason for this is to get simply normalized commutation relations for the creation and annihilation ops, e.g.,

[tex][\hat{a}(\vec{p}),\hat{a}^{\dagger}(\vec{p}')]=\delta^{(3)}(\vec{p}-\vec{p}').[/tex]

But for this latter issue you have nearly as many conventions as textbooks :-(.

One representation of the delta function is
[tex]\delta(x)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int dk e^{ikx}.[/tex]
If the integral appears in some equation without the [tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}[/tex],
you get [tex]2\pi\delta[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why there is 2[itex]\pi[/itex] in every dirac delta function

Why is there 2π in every Dirac delta function?

The inclusion of 2π in the Dirac delta function is a result of the Fourier transform used to define the function. The Fourier transform of the Dirac delta function is given by e-ikx, and the inverse Fourier transform of this function is 2πδ(k), where δ(k) is the Dirac delta function in the frequency domain. Therefore, to maintain consistency between the time and frequency domains, 2π is included in the definition of the Dirac delta function.

What is the significance of 2π in the Dirac delta function?

The inclusion of 2π in the Dirac delta function allows for the function to have a unit area under the curve, which is essential for many mathematical and physical applications. Additionally, it allows for the function to have a well-defined Fourier transform and inverse Fourier transform, making it useful for signal processing and solving differential equations.

Is 2π a constant in the Dirac delta function?

Yes, 2π is a constant in the definition of the Dirac delta function and is essential for maintaining consistency between the time and frequency domains. This constant value ensures that the function has the desired properties, such as an infinitely narrow peak and a unit area under the curve.

Can the value of 2π be changed in the Dirac delta function?

No, the value of 2π cannot be changed in the definition of the Dirac delta function without altering its properties and usefulness. Any change to this value would result in an incorrect relationship between the time and frequency domains and would render the function unsuitable for many applications.

Are there any alternate definitions of the Dirac delta function without 2π?

While there are various definitions of the Dirac delta function, all of them include a factor of 2π in some form. This is because the inclusion of 2π is necessary for the function to have a well-defined Fourier transform and other desired properties. Without 2π, the function would not be a true Dirac delta function and would not have the same applications and uses.