Why the chemical elements are found together in nature

In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons behind the presence of chemical elements and isotopes together in nature. It is suggested that density and thermodynamic properties play a role in the separation of elements during the formation of the Earth's crust. It is also mentioned that isotopes of the same element can be found together due to their identical chemical behavior. The possible origins of gold and silver deposits are also discussed. The conversation raises the question of why there is not a homogenous mix of atoms, to which the expert responds with a simplified explanation of the concept of interaction energies.
Keln
I've often wondered, but have never found a solid explanation for, why the chemical elements are found together in nature? Why aren't atoms all in a somewhat homogenous mix? Why are X atoms found with other X atoms?

And why are isotopes found together, such as Uranium 235 and the far more common Uranium 238? They aren't even formed in the same decay chains. Does it simply have to do with atomic mass, or is there some other reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a geologist, but I imagine density is the main factor. When the Earth's crust formed, it congealed from a molten mixture of many types of rock and metals. Rocks and metals of similar density and composition would tend to cool at the same rate, and separate out together. Overtime most of the Earth's crust has been recycled, but those rock and metals would still tend to end up in similar places due to their similar density and thermodynamic properties.

Keln said:
I've often wondered, but have never found a solid explanation for, why the chemical elements are found together in nature? Why aren't atoms all in a somewhat homogenous mix? Why are X atoms found with other X atoms?

It's not clear what you mean here. Some elements are found together because they reacted with one another and formed chemical compounds. As to any other mixtures, I'm afraid you'll need to provide some specific examples.

And why are isotopes found together, such as Uranium 235 and the far more common Uranium 238? They aren't even formed in the same decay chains. Does it simply have to do with atomic mass, or is there some other reason?

I'm afraid you've got things backwards. U-235 and U-238 are not formed by radioactive decay; each isotope however does decay radioactively into lighter elements, albeit over much different time scales.

Since isotopes behave identically chemically, it stands to reason that you would find different isotopes of the same element as part of a deposit of the compounds of that element.

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what you mean here. Some elements are found together because they reacted with one another and formed chemical compounds. As to any other mixtures, I'm afraid you'll need to provide some specific examples.

Ok, as an example, why is there such a thing as a vein of gold or silver? I'm not talking about different elements reacting, but the same elements, not chemically bonded, just in the same geographical location.

I'm afraid you've got things backwards. U-235 and U-238 are not formed by radioactive decay; each isotope however does decay radioactively into lighter elements, albeit over much different time scales.

Uranium-235 is formed from the decay of Protactinium-235(-B), Neptunium-235 (EC), and Plutonium-239.

Uranium-238 is formed from the decay of Plutonium-232 (a) and Protactinium-238 (-b).

Keln said:
Uranium-235 is formed from the decay of Protactinium-235(-B), Neptunium-235 (EC), and Plutonium-239.

Uranium-238 is formed from the decay of Plutonium-232 (a) and Protactinium-238 (-b).

Just because U-235 and U-238 show up in the decay chain of another element does not necessarily imply that these isotopes were originally formed from that element.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primordial_nuclide

Keln said:
Ok, as an example, why is there such a thing as a vein of gold or silver? I'm not talking about different elements reacting, but the same elements, not chemically bonded, just in the same geographical location.

You can read up on the hypothesized origins of gold an silver deposits:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver

Keln said:
Why aren't atoms all in a somewhat homogenous mix?
Paraphrasing, "Why aren't all A-B interaction energies equal to all A-A and all B-B interaction energies (zero)?" The cold oatmeal universe bored itself out of existence picoseconds after the original "big splat," and was replaced with something having a little more variety --- fusion reactions, a periodic table, individual elemental chemistries ...

Related to Why the chemical elements are found together in nature

1. Why are certain elements found together in nature?

Certain elements are found together in nature because they have similar physical and chemical properties. This allows them to bond and form compounds, which are the building blocks of everything in the natural world.

2. How do elements form compounds?

Elements form compounds through chemical reactions, in which atoms of different elements combine to form new substances. These reactions occur when elements come into contact with each other and share or transfer electrons.

3. What factors influence the presence of elements in nature?

The presence of elements in nature is influenced by various factors such as geological processes, environmental conditions, and the history of the Earth. For example, elements may be more abundant in certain regions due to volcanic activity or sedimentary deposits.

4. Why are some elements more abundant in nature than others?

The abundance of elements in nature is determined by their origin and how they are formed. Some elements, such as hydrogen and helium, were created during the Big Bang and are therefore more abundant, while others are produced through stellar nucleosynthesis or other natural processes.

5. Can elements be found in isolation in nature?

In most cases, elements are found combined with other elements in nature. However, there are some exceptions, such as noble gases like helium and neon, which exist in a pure, isolated form in the Earth's atmosphere. Some elements, like gold, can also be found in their elemental form in nature, but this is relatively rare.