Why s is substitute with jw in transfer function?

In summary, when substituting ##s = j \omega## in a transfer function like G(s), we are essentially converting from the bilateral Laplace transform to the Fourier transform, which allows us to find the gain value of the system at a specific frequency. This is because the only difference between the two transforms is the variable substitution, and the Fourier transform of the impulse response of a system can be used to find its gain and phase at a specific frequency. Additionally, in order for a system to be linear and time-invariant, the sum of two inputs must equal the sum of two outputs and delaying the input by a constant amount will delay the output by the same amount.
hilman
Can anybody explain to me briefly on why in a transfer function like G(s), we substitute s=jw such that it become G(jw) in order to find its gain value?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can explain it in a variety of ways, but I prefer this one, since it's quite general:

The only difference between the bilateral Laplace transform:
$$
G(s) = \mathcal{L}\{f(t)\} = \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-st} f(t)dt\\
$$
and the Fourier transform:
$$
H(\omega) = \mathcal{F}\{f(t)\} = \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-j\omega t} f(t) dt
$$
is the variable substitution ##s = j\omega##, i.e. ##H(\omega) = G(s)\left.\right|_{s = j\omega} = G(j\omega)##.

For some system with transfer function ##G(s)##, ##G(s)## is also its impulse response, which makes ##G(j\omega)## the Fourier transform of its impulse response.

More intuitively:
To find the gain of a linear system at some frequency ##\omega##, you could apply a sinusoidal input with frequency ##\omega## and unity amplitude, and observe the amplitude of the output signal, which directly gives you the gain of the system at ##\omega##.

An ideal impulse has components with unity amplitude at all frequencies, and thus ##G(j\omega)## "picks out" the gain and phase of the system at ##\omega## from its impulse response.

Makes sense?

Likes hilman
Wow, I like your answer. I am still a beginner in this kind of things and I can understand most of your answer. But one question. What is exactly a linear system?
Thanks in advance

hilman said:
Wow, I like your answer. I am still a beginner in this kind of things and I can understand most of your answer. But one question. What is exactly a linear system?
Thanks in advance
a big thing in looking at systems like this is knowing if they are linear and if they are time invarient.

you should know these

Linear:: more or less to be a linear system the sum of two inputs have to equal the sum of the two outputs
x1(n)=y1(n)
x2(n)=y2(n)
so in order to be linear
x1(n)+x2(n)=y1(n)+Y2(n)

then continue that out to inf and -inf

for a system that is time invariant, delaying the input by a constant delays the output by the same amount.

given the system x(t)=y(t)

x(t-d)=y(t-d) for all values of t and d

donpacino said:
a big thing in looking at systems like this is knowing if they are linear and if they are time invarient.

you should know these

Linear:: more or less to be a linear system the sum of two inputs have to equal the sum of the two outputs
x1(n)=y1(n)
x2(n)=y2(n)
so in order to be linear
x1(n)+x2(n)=y1(n)+Y2(n)

then continue that out to inf and -inf
basically, this means if you graph the system, it will be a straight line.

for a system that is time invariant, delaying the input by a constant delays the output by the same amount.

given the system x(t)=y(t)

x(t-d)=y(t-d) for all values of t and d

Generally,

## s = \sigma + j \omega##

When ##\sigma = 0##, ##s = j \omega##

## \sigma ## is the Neper frequency. It tells us the rate at which the function decays (when it is negative).

## \omega ## is the radial frequency. It tells us the rate at which the function oscillates.

Likes berkeman

Related to Why s is substitute with jw in transfer function?

1. Why is "s" replaced with "jw" in a transfer function?

The variable "s" represents the complex frequency domain in a transfer function, while "jw" represents the imaginary component of the frequency domain. This replacement allows for easier mathematical manipulation and analysis of the transfer function.

2. How does replacing "s" with "jw" affect the transfer function?

Replacing "s" with "jw" does not change the transfer function itself, but rather represents a different representation of the same function. It allows for the transfer function to be analyzed in the frequency domain instead of the time domain.

3. Can we use any other variable instead of "jw" in a transfer function?

Yes, other variables such as "ω" or "f" can be used instead of "jw" in a transfer function. However, "jw" is the most commonly used variable as it clearly represents the imaginary component of the frequency domain.

4. Is there a specific reason why "s" is used in the original transfer function?

The variable "s" is commonly used in the original transfer function because it represents the Laplace transform variable, which is commonly used in control systems and signal processing. The use of "s" also allows for the transfer function to be analyzed in the Laplace domain.

5. How does the replacement of "s" with "jw" affect the poles and zeros of a transfer function?

The replacement of "s" with "jw" does not change the location of the poles and zeros in the transfer function. They are still located at the same points in the complex plane. However, the substitution allows for easier identification and analysis of the poles and zeros in the frequency domain.