Why photons don't interact with the Higg's field

In summary, photons do not interact with the Higgs field because they have no mass. Other particles, such as quarks and electrons, interact with the Higgs field through the Higgs mechanism. While in some theories, it is possible for photons to interact with the Higgs field through electroweak symmetry breaking at high energies. The Higgs field gives particles mass by interacting with them through the Higgs mechanism. If photons were able to interact with the Higgs field, they would gain mass and no longer travel at the speed of light, which would have major implications for the principles of physics.
Evenus1
hi every one
i am only 14 so can we please try and make answers in such a way that i will understand them.
i am wondering as to why photons do not interact with the higes field
many thanks
Evenus1

Physics news on Phys.org
but saying this i have a fairly advanced knowledge to be able to understand such thing so ?

Related to Why photons don't interact with the Higg's field

1. Why do photons not interact with the Higgs field?

Photons do not interact with the Higgs field because they do not have mass. The Higgs field is responsible for giving mass to particles, but since photons have no mass, they do not interact with it.

2. How do other particles interact with the Higgs field?

Other particles, such as quarks and electrons, interact with the Higgs field through a process called the Higgs mechanism. This mechanism involves the particles interacting with the Higgs boson, which is a particle that arises from the Higgs field.

3. Can photons ever interact with the Higgs field?

In some theories, it is possible for photons to interact with the Higgs field through a process called electroweak symmetry breaking. This would occur at extremely high energies, such as those present in the early universe or in particle accelerators.

4. How does the Higgs field give mass to particles?

The Higgs field interacts with particles through the Higgs mechanism, which involves the particles interacting with the Higgs boson. This interaction gives the particles mass by slowing them down and creating resistance to their movement through the field.

5. What would happen if photons did interact with the Higgs field?

If photons were able to interact with the Higgs field, they would gain mass and would no longer travel at the speed of light. This would have significant implications for the behavior of light and the fundamental principles of physics.