Why photons can't afford more than light speed ?

In summary, photons are not limited by the speed of light. Special relativity is based on the fact that photons have the same speed as any other observer.
oneat
Why photons can't afford more than light speed?
They are not limited by E=mc^2.

Science news on Phys.org
It is the nature of space-time. Read up about Special Relativity, then come back to the question.

oneat said:
They are not limited by E=mc^2.
No, all particles obey this equation. Even photons. Obviously you cannot use the usual gamme factor.

But that equation is not even what shows that normal matter can't go at light speed.

It is shown with:
[tex]p = \gamma m v[/tex]
But, this is the equation for bodies with mass only and it shows they cannot reach c.

For massless particles (photons) the above equation does not apply, you must use this instead:
[tex]p = \frac{E}{c}[/tex]
which doesn't have the same problem. Furthermore, we know that for waves the wavelength * frequency = velocity of the wave, but for light the wavelength and frequency are inversely related by the constant c, so when you find wavelength*frequency you get that they equal "c", which should be the volocity, so v=c.

I'm just sort of beating around the bush though, there are much better explanations. I know there is a way to derive it from maxwell's equations.
Sorry I can't give a better explanation but that is why I didn't respond to this thread right away, I waited a day.

The fact that light always has speed c, relative to any observer, is a result of experimental evidence. It is not proven from other properties, other properties are derived from that observation.

you can show that light travels at c with maxwells equations
c= 1/(sqrt(eq))
where e= permittivity constant
q= magnetic constant
and when maxwell came across this result , he realized that this was always constant no matter how fast you were going , and this was always in the back of his mind ,
And Einstein used this fact to start creating relativity ,

Related to Why photons can't afford more than light speed ?

1. Why can't photons travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel. Photons are particles of light, and as such, they are bound by this universal speed limit.

2. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. As mentioned before, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate any further.

3. How fast do photons travel?

Photons travel at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is equivalent to about 670 million miles per hour.

4. What happens if we could break the speed of light barrier?

If we could break the speed of light barrier, we would essentially be able to travel back in time. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down. Breaking this barrier would violate the fundamental laws of physics and create paradoxes.

5. Is it possible for a photon to slow down?

No, a photon cannot slow down. As mentioned before, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. Photons are always traveling at this speed, making it impossible for them to slow down.