Why Pay for Avatars and Private Message Space? Exploring Forum Charging Systems

• Thread starter Esran
  • Start date
Peaches" in the movie "The Spirit"In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of charging for avatars, signatures, and expanded private message space on the site. Some users suggest a better system would be to charge for certain forums or administrative rights. A list of forums that use this system or are completely free is provided. The site's policy is explained, with the option for paid membership being optional. The community is praised and donations are discussed as a means of keeping the site running. The topic of paid avatars is brought up and it is revealed that one user has paid for an avatar of actress Scarlet Johanson.
Esran
Why does this site charge people for using avatars, signatures, and getting expanded private message space? This seems kind of crummy to me. A better system would be to charge people to access certain forums or to get some administrative rights. Here is a list of forums that use this system or are completely free.

http://forums.cpp-home.com/
http://forums.philosophyforums.com/index.php?
http://www.sciforums.com/
http://www.groupsrv.com/science/index.php
http://java.sun.com/
http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=16167&TabID=146190

Please post any comments on this issue that you have.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rather, we ask people who enjoy the forums to give support. You're not paying for the avatar, but investing in the system.

I don't follow...

you'd prefer a forum where you get the fluff for free instead of a forum where you get the content for free?

This is by far the best forum I have been to.

Paid membership is optional, and I believe that most that decide to contribute do it because they want to help out, not because of the "extras".

Hey I'd contribute if I had the cash, even without the extras.

same here, but right now I have a grand total of about -$90, so unless the PF wants my -$90 which I would gladly give, I'm not going to be donating anything for a while.

How about it greg, want -$90? :-p

Last edited:
Good points. I'll shut up now. I guess Linux has forever tainted me.

Esran,

We have much in common with linux -- those of us that run PF donate our time quite willingly. Trust me, I've spent many, many hours modifying the site's source code to add LaTeX and search enhancements. I'm not asking for any kind of remuneration for this work; I did it because I really love the community here.

However, the host and bandwidth are not free -- they cost us money. We don't mind donating our time, but we really do need help paying those expenses. This is in the same vein as RedHat (the old RedHat) charging money for a box on the shelf, because the packaging and book cost money to produce. The bits, which took nothing but time to create, are free. It's analogous to the situation here.

- Warren

I understand. Sorry for bothering you. I just wanted to see how everyone felt about it. I'm fine with charging money to cover expenses, but why not just have a "make a donation" button? I'm sure that a lot of people would be glad to make a donation. This is an excellent community and I don't want it to die off.

I don't have any money to donate myself, but I can donate time.

No problem, it is a bit unusual to pay for avatars, etc.
We used to have a "make a donation" topic posted at all times, but it didn't bring in enough to cover expenses.
We're trying different things to bring in donations without being a distraction from the overall content of the forums. You're seeing our current attempt. It may change.

I definitely paid so that I could have an avatar.

loseyourname said:
I definitely paid so that I could have an avatar.
She's very pretty, your girlfriend?

He wish :wink: , it's Scarlet Johanson

Last edited:
iansmith said:
Ah, well you can tell that I don't get out much. :wink: Thanks Ian.

iansmith said:

Indeed I do.

Okay, so I'm not crazy. I thought loseyourname was a guy, but then when that avatar appeared, I thought I was badly mistaken. Who's Scarlet Johanson? Obviously it isn't anybody I recognize.

Scarlet Jojanson is an actress and she the main character with Bill Murray in "Lost in Translation"

Related to Why Pay for Avatars and Private Message Space? Exploring Forum Charging Systems

1. Why do some forums charge for avatars and private message space?

Some forums charge for avatars and private message space as a way to generate revenue and cover the costs of operating the forum. This can include server costs, maintenance, and moderation fees.

2. Can I still use the forum without paying for avatars and private message space?

Yes, most forums that charge for avatars and private message space also offer a free version with limited features. Users can still participate in discussions and use basic features without paying for additional perks.

3. Are the avatars and private message space worth paying for?

This ultimately depends on the user's preferences and needs. Some users may find personalized avatars and larger message space to be valuable features, while others may not see the need to pay for them.

4. How do forums determine the cost for avatars and private message space?

The cost for avatars and private message space can vary depending on the forum's policies and target audience. Some may charge a flat rate for all users, while others may have different tiers or subscription plans with varying prices.

5. Can I get a refund if I am not satisfied with the avatars or private message space?

This also depends on the forum's policies. Some forums may offer refunds if the user is not satisfied with their purchase, while others may not have a refund policy in place. It is important to read the forum's terms and conditions before making a purchase.