Why not calculate the "trajectory" of a wave function

Perhaps the most simple example is the hydrogen atom, where you solve the Schrödinger equation for given boundary conditions, and that gives the energy levels.
zhouhao
The classic limit of Schrodinger equation is hamilton-jacobi eqution.

Wave function's classic limit is ##\exp{\frac{i}{\hbar}S(x,t)}##,##S(x,t)## is the action satisfying hamilton-jaccobi eqution.

However, a particle travels along single trajectory of ##S(x,t)##,
Why not make some constrains on wave function to reveal the "single trajectory" from wave function?

Physics news on Phys.org
zhouhao said:
Why not make some constrains on wave function to reveal the "single trajectory" from wave function?
That only works in the classical limit, where you can ignore quantum mechanics.

de-Broglie-Bohm has classical trajectories, but everything is governed by the wave function (or pilot wave), so that doesn't really change anything.

mfb said:
That only works in the classical limit, where you can ignore quantum mechanics.

de-Broglie-Bohm has classical trajectories, but everything is governed by the wave function (or pilot wave), so that doesn't really change anything.
Thanks.
How about this way.
Classic Mechanic :
1,wave function (##\hbar \rightarrow 0##) is ##\psi \rightarrow \exp{\frac{i}{\hbar}S(x,t)}##;
2,we get wave function from Hamilton-Jaccobi equation with boundary condition,
##\frac{\partial{S}}{\partial{t}}+\frac{1}{2m}{(\frac{\partial{S}}{\partial{x}})}^2+V(x)=0##;
3,##\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{1}{m}\frac{\partial{S}}{\partial{x}}## could define a trajectory ##x(t)## for a particle with initial condition ##x(0)=a##;

Quantum mechanic:
1,wave function ##\psi(x,t)##;
2,we calculate ##\psi(x,t)## from Schrodinger eqution, ##-\frac{{\hbar}^2}{2m}\frac{{\partial}^2{\psi}}{\partial{t}^2}+V(x)=i\hbar\frac{\partial{\psi}}{\partial{t}}##;
My textbook stop at second step , just calculate wave function and ignore the third step in classic mechanic which make me confused.
Maybe third step in QM, could be like this -----
-----3,##(\frac{dx}{dt})_n=\frac{(\frac{\hat{p}}{m})^n\psi}{(\frac{\hat{p}}{m})^{(n-1)}\psi}##,##n \ge 1## is an integer.##\hat{p}=-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}##

When ##\hbar \rightarrow 0## , ##(\frac{dx}{dt})_n \rightarrow \frac{1}{m}\frac{\partial{S}}{\partial{x}}##
This means we define many trajectory for a particle.

You can define a lot of things, that doesn't mean they have to have useful properties. I didn't study your definition in detail, but if in doubt, it won't lead to a continuous trajectory, or even to ill-defined expressions.

zhouhao said:
Thanks.
How about this way.
Classic Mechanic :
1,wave function (##\hbar \rightarrow 0##) is ##\psi \rightarrow \exp{\frac{i}{\hbar}S(x,t)}##;
2,we get wave function from Hamilton-Jaccobi equation with boundary condition,
##\frac{\partial{S}}{\partial{t}}+\frac{1}{2m}{(\frac{\partial{S}}{\partial{x}})}^2+V(x)=0##;
3,##\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{1}{m}\frac{\partial{S}}{\partial{x}}## could define a trajectory ##x(t)## for a particle with initial condition ##x(0)=a##;

Quantum mechanic:
1,wave function ##\psi(x,t)##;
2,we calculate ##\psi(x,t)## from Schrodinger eqution, ##-\frac{{\hbar}^2}{2m}\frac{{\partial}^2{\psi}}{\partial{t}^2}+V(x)=i\hbar\frac{\partial{\psi}}{\partial{t}}##;
My textbook stop at second step , just calculate wave function and ignore the third step in classic mechanic which make me confused.
Maybe third step in QM, could be like this -----
-----3,##(\frac{dx}{dt})_n=\frac{(\frac{\hat{p}}{m})^n\psi}{(\frac{\hat{p}}{m})^{(n-1)}\psi}##,##n \ge 1## is an integer.##\hat{p}=-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}##

When ##\hbar \rightarrow 0## , ##(\frac{dx}{dt})_n \rightarrow \frac{1}{m}\frac{\partial{S}}{\partial{x}}##
This means we define many trajectory for a particle.
Read about Bohmian mechanics! You can start e.g. from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Broglie–Bohm_theory

Demystifier said:
Read about Bohmian mechanics! You can start e.g. from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Broglie–Bohm_theory
Thanks.I think Bohmian mechanics is helpful to me.Could help me with another question below?
##\psi## is a solution of Schrodinger eqution.
When ##\hbar \rightarrow 0##,##{\psi}(x,t) \rightarrow {\rho}(x,t)e^{\frac{i}{\hbar}S(x,t)}##
Define ##\frac{dq}{dt}=\frac{1}{m}\frac{\partial{S}}{\partial{x}}##,
and ##\delta{(x-q(t))}## means choose trajectories beside ##q(t)##,not the real Dirac function.
The ##{\psi}_q \rightarrow \delta{(x-q(t))}e^{\frac{i}{\hbar}S(x,t)}## is a solution.
The linear combination ##{\sum\limits_q}c_q{\psi}_q## is also a solution.
Too many solutions.
If we calculates wave function of electron moving around nuclear or the one of electron in the two-slit diffraction experiment,how to get the initial boundary couditon?Is there any example to calculate this kind of thing?

zhouhao said:
Too many solutions.
If we calculates wave function of electron moving around nuclear or the one of electron in the two-slit diffraction experiment,how to get the initial boundary couditon?Is there any example to calculate this kind of thing?
There is no simple recipe hot to find the right solutions (right initial conditions). You must study a whole textbook to learn something about it.

Related to Why not calculate the "trajectory" of a wave function

1. Why is calculating the trajectory of a wave function not possible?

Calculating the trajectory of a wave function is not possible because it goes against the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, it is impossible to know both the position and velocity of a particle at the same time. This applies to wave functions as well, making it impossible to calculate a definite trajectory.

2. Can't we use classical mechanics to calculate the trajectory of a wave function?

No, classical mechanics cannot be used to calculate the trajectory of a wave function. Classical mechanics is based on the idea of particles having definite positions and velocities, which does not apply to quantum systems. Wave functions describe the probability of finding a particle in a certain location, not its exact position.

3. Is there any benefit to calculating the trajectory of a wave function?

No, there is no benefit to calculating the trajectory of a wave function. The wave function is used to describe the behavior of quantum systems, and it has been proven to be a successful and accurate model. Trying to calculate the trajectory would not add any additional information or improve our understanding of these systems.

4. Is it possible to predict the future behavior of a particle using the wave function?

No, the wave function does not allow for the prediction of future behavior of particles. It only gives the probability of finding a particle in a certain location. The exact position and behavior of a particle cannot be known beforehand according to the principles of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any alternative methods for understanding the behavior of quantum systems without calculating the trajectory of the wave function?

Yes, there are alternative methods for understanding the behavior of quantum systems. One approach is using the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics, which involves using operators and state vectors to describe the behavior of particles. Another approach is through experimental observations and measurements, which can provide valuable information about the behavior of quantum systems.