Why Might a Program Incorrectly Represent Resonance Structures?

In summary, the individual is having trouble with a resonance structure and suspects that the charges may be incorrect. However, when they try to post the same problem as the answer, they receive an error message. They are seeking help with resolving this issue.
RLB31384
[SOLVED] Resonance Structure #3

Homework Statement

Can't seem to figure this one out either...I think the program may have the charges messed up...usually if i post the same exact problem as the answer, it tells me that the answer is the same as the original problem...but with this problem..if I do that it says "The total charge on your resonance structure must equal the total charge on the given structure." The charges are the same...so anyone have any ideas?

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=583594nw8.jpg i keep trying to move the radical to the left...or try to get rid of it..but I don't know..nothing seems to work..

Physics news on Phys.org
I solved this as well btw, so no need in anyone helping now. Thanks though :)

it is important to note that resonance structures are a representation of the actual distribution of electrons in a molecule. Therefore, it is not always possible to accurately represent the exact distribution of electrons with one single structure. In this case, it is possible that the program is unable to accurately represent the resonance structure due to the presence of a radical (unpaired electron).

One possible explanation for the discrepancy between the given structure and the desired resonance structure could be that the radical is not properly accounted for in the program. It is also possible that the program is not taking into account the concept of delocalized electrons, which is essential in understanding resonance structures.

In order to accurately represent the resonance structure, it may be helpful to manually draw out all possible resonance structures and compare them to the given structure. This can help identify any discrepancies or errors in the program's representation. Additionally, consulting with a chemistry expert or instructor may also provide further insights into the issue. Overall, it is important to keep in mind that resonance structures are a simplified representation of the actual electron distribution and may not always be accurately represented by computer programs.

Related to Why Might a Program Incorrectly Represent Resonance Structures?

What is a resonance structure?

A resonance structure is a representation of a molecule or ion that cannot be accurately depicted by a single Lewis structure. It shows the delocalization of electrons within the molecule and helps to explain the observed properties of the molecule.

How do you determine the major resonance structure?

The major resonance structure is determined by considering the stability of each structure. The most stable structure is the major resonance structure. Factors that affect stability include having a full octet of electrons, minimizing formal charges, and avoiding charge separation.

Can resonance structures contribute to the overall stability of a molecule?

Yes, resonance structures can contribute to the overall stability of a molecule. The more resonance structures a molecule has, the more stable it is.

Are resonance structures real or just theoretical?

Resonance structures are a theoretical representation of a molecule or ion. They are not real structures that exist physically, but they help to explain the observed properties of a molecule.

How do you draw resonance structures?

To draw resonance structures, you must first identify the molecule or ion's Lewis structure. Then, move electrons around to create different structures while keeping the overall charge and number of valence electrons the same. Finally, determine the major resonance structure based on stability.