Why isn’t time-dependent Schrodinger equation separable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the separability of the Schrodinger equation, specifically when the potential function is a function of x only. The book states that in this case, the wave function is separable. However, the individual discussing the topic is unsure of why this is not generally the case, and asks for clarification on whether any linear homogeneous equation is separable. The conversation then delves into a discussion of linearity and homogeneity in relation to separability, with references provided for further reading. It is concluded that linearity and homogeneity do not necessarily imply separability, and further understanding is sought.
HJ Farnsworth
Greetings everyone,

I haven’t done any quantum in a while, and was reviewing my textbook, Griffiths Ed. 1. The form of the Schrodinger equation I’m using is:

i[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex][itex]\Psi[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]t = -[itex]\hbar[/itex]2/2m * [itex]\partial[/itex]2[itex]\Psi[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x2 + V[itex]\Psi[/itex]

The book says if V is a function of x only, then the wave function is separable. This makes sense to me, but what I wanted to know is, why is it not generally separable otherwise? My understanding is that any linear homogeneous equation is separable (could someone please verify that?), so that if L([itex]\Psi[/itex]) = 0, then [itex]\Psi[/itex] should be separable, where L is a linear operator. Referring to the Schrodinger equation, L would be:

i[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\partial[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]t + [itex]\hbar[/itex]2/2m * [itex]\partial[/itex]2/[itex]\partial[/itex]x2 - V.

I’m not going to worry about the first two terms right now, since it seems obvious enough that they're linear. By definition of linearity:

L(c1u1 + c2u2) = c1L(u1) + c2L(u2)

It seems like V(x, t) should be a linear operator, since as far as I can tell it won't behave so much as an operator, but instead as a function that just gets multiplied by given solutions of the wave function:

V(x, t)(c1[itex]\Psi[/itex]1 + c2[itex]\Psi[/itex]2) = c1V(x, t)[itex]\Psi[/itex]1 + c2V(x, t)[itex]\Psi[/itex]2

This seems like it should be true by basic algebra to me – what’s my mistake here? It seems like I'm either applying the definition of linearity wrong, or the potential function can, in fact, be something that will actually "affect" the wavefunction it operates on, like something ending with partials - but this doesn't make sense to me, since the potential function should just give numbers for the potential energy.

A simple example of a potential function for which the above doesn’t work and/or an explanation of why I'm using the definition of linearity wrong would be very much appreciated.

Thanks very much for any help you can give.

-HJ Farnsworth

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for the references - but unfortunately I still do not understand what I did wrong.

If an equation is linear and homogeneous, am I right in thinking it is separable as well? (I just got this from a textbook, but I'm not sure if it was referring to a specific example or the general case).

If so, what was my mistake? I want to try to understand this in the scope of what I did above, so I can see what I did wrong, in addition to how to do it right.

Thanks for the help.

-HJ Farnsworth

HJ Farnsworth said:
My understanding is that any linear homogeneous equation is separable (could someone please verify that?)
That's not right, because of the dispersion relation: see here.

I don't have much time, so just a few thoughts:
-separable means that ψ(x,t) can be written as a product χ(t)φ(x)
-try this separation ansatz for the potential in question; if you can't produce an equation of the structure L1(x)φ(x)=L2(t)χ(t), the equation is not separable
-regardless of V, ψ(x,t) can only be written as χ(t)φ(x) if it is an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian; so this quote is misleading:

HJ Farnsworth said:
The book says if V is a function of x only, then the wave function is separable.

ThomasT said:
These are just random references that use seperability in completely irrelevant ways. The first one is about seperability of a metric space, the second one is about spatial seperability in relation to quantum entanglement. Here we are talking about differential equations that have seperable solutions. Unfortunately, in math and science we often use the same word to refer to totally different things.

Thanks for the responses.

So, my mistake was just in thinking that linearity and homogeneity of an equation implied that it was separable. This is in fact not the case, so the stuff I wrote afterwards was correct, but irrelevant. Is this right?

-HJ Farnsworth

Related to Why isn’t time-dependent Schrodinger equation separable?

1. Why is the Schrodinger equation not separable in time?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which state that particles can exist in multiple states at once and that their behavior is fundamentally probabilistic. The time-dependent Schrodinger equation takes into account the changing state of a system over time, making it non-separable.

2. What does it mean for the Schrodinger equation to be separable?

A separable equation is one that can be broken down into smaller, independent equations. In the case of the Schrodinger equation, separability would mean that the equation could be separated into two independent equations for space and time. However, in quantum mechanics, time and space are intimately connected, and the state of a system in one cannot be fully described without considering the other.

3. Can the Schrodinger equation be solved without separability?

Yes, the Schrodinger equation can still be solved without being separable. In fact, most physical systems in quantum mechanics cannot be described by separable equations. The time-dependent Schrodinger equation may be more complex to solve, but it still provides an accurate description of the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Are there any cases where the Schrodinger equation is separable in time?

Yes, there are some special cases where the Schrodinger equation can be separated into independent equations for time and space. For example, in the case of a free particle with no external forces acting on it, the equation can be separated into two independent equations. However, these cases are rare and do not apply to most physical systems.

5. How does the non-separability of the Schrodinger equation affect our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The non-separability of the Schrodinger equation is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and does not affect our understanding of the theory. In fact, it is a necessary feature in order to accurately describe the behavior of quantum systems. It highlights the interconnectedness of time, space, and the quantum state of a system, and challenges our traditional understanding of cause and effect in the physical world.