Why Isn't the Drain Voltage in a MOSFET Circuit Equal to 1.8V?

In summary, the question asks for the drain voltage, but the resistor may not be getting the entire 1.8V due to the operating mode of the FET and the parameters provided in the question. A schematic diagram may provide a hint, but ultimately you will need to use the given parameters to determine the FET's operating mode and find its DC operating point.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

6e15725989.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We have been given this question along with some parameters.
It asks for find drain votltage, my question is why isn't the drain voltage just equal to 1.8? I mean the resistor should be getting the entire 1.8V so?

Physics news on Phys.org
CoolDude420 said:
We have been given this question along with some parameters.
It asks for find drain votltage, my question is why isn't the drain voltage just equal to 1.8? I mean the resistor should be getting the entire 1.8V so?
It would be 1.8 V if the FET were cut off (completely non-conducting). Do you have reason to believe that this is the case?

gneill said:
It would be 1.8 V if the FET were cut off (completely non-conducting). Do you have reason to believe that this is the case?
no. Ah, I keep considering the branches of the terminals of the MOSFET independant due to the gap in the circuit diagram of it. So basically because of the gate terminal I can't just assume its 1.8V

CoolDude420 said:
no. Ah, I keep considering the branches of the terminals of the MOSFET independant due to the gap in the circuit diagram of it. So basically because of the gate terminal I can't just assume its 1.8V
Schematic diagram symbols often offer a stylized hint as to the underlying construction of the components they represent, but really they can't do more than jog your memory about how they actually function.

You hinted at being given some parameters. You'll have to use them to work out what operating mode the FET is in and then find its DC operating point.

CoolDude420 said:
You're contradicting yourself here.

Related to Why Isn't the Drain Voltage in a MOSFET Circuit Equal to 1.8V?

1. What is the purpose of a MOSFET drain voltage?

The drain voltage in a MOSFET (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor) is used to control the flow of current through the device. It is an important parameter that determines the output characteristics of the MOSFET and is typically used in various electronic circuits such as amplifiers, switches, and voltage regulators.

2. How does the drain voltage affect the performance of a MOSFET?

The drain voltage affects the width and depth of the depletion region in the MOSFET, which in turn affects the channel conductance and the output current. Higher drain voltage can result in a wider and deeper depletion region, leading to lower channel conductance and reduced output current. On the other hand, lower drain voltage can result in a narrower and shallower depletion region, leading to higher channel conductance and increased output current.

3. What is the difference between drain voltage and drain current in a MOSFET?

Drain voltage is the voltage applied to the drain terminal of a MOSFET, while drain current is the current flowing through the drain terminal. The drain voltage controls the drain current, and the relationship between the two is described by the MOSFET's output characteristics. The drain current also depends on the gate voltage and the channel resistance.

4. How is the drain voltage calculated in a MOSFET circuit?

The drain voltage can be calculated using Ohm's law, where the drain voltage is equal to the product of the drain current and the channel resistance. It can also be calculated using the MOSFET's output characteristics, which show the relationship between the drain voltage and the drain current for different values of the gate voltage.

5. How does the drain voltage vary with changes in temperature in a MOSFET circuit?

The drain voltage in a MOSFET can be affected by changes in temperature. As the temperature increases, the channel resistance decreases, resulting in an increase in the drain current for a given drain voltage. This can lead to thermal instability and affect the performance of the MOSFET. Therefore, proper thermal management is essential in MOSFET circuits to maintain a stable drain voltage.