Why Is Using a Cold Water Pipe with Running Water as a Ground More Effective?

In summary: well, in summary, using a cold water pipe as an electrical ground is safer than not using one, and older buildings may not have this type of connection.
eurekameh
Why is better to use the cold water pipe as a ground for electrons?

Physics news on Phys.org

What makes you think it is?

eurekameh said:

Better than what?

I think that you can guarantee that the domestic cold water water pipe is in contact with the ground... unless you are supplied via plastic pipes.
These days a lot of the water pipework is plastic and I don't think that you can guarantee that hot water pipes are connected to ground. All metal pipes should be connected to ground.

The previous poster is correct. First, one must make the assumption that all of the water lines in question are metal--normally copper or galvanized steel. (If not, none of the water lines can be used as an electrical ground.) Typically in this case, all of the cold water lines are connected through various fittings to each other, and to the water main which is normally buried underground to its connection to the water meter. The hot water lines, however, are connected together internal the the building structure but then pass through a hot water heater. This heater has insulating couplings or unions ('dielectric couplings') as part of its construction, in order to help prevent corrosion. These couplings break the electrical connection to the main, and so do not allow the hot water piping to connect electrically to Earth ground.

Often, the main building ground--or 'bond' wire--is routed from the main electrical panel to a clamp around the supply water line as it enters the building to take advantage of this physical contact with the ground and use it as an electrical 'ground' as well.

Hope that helps...

Since in many countries it is illegal to use, or attempt to use, the cold water piping as an electrical ground I council caution.

In the UK, metal water supply piping to buildings was abandoned decades ago. It has also largely been superceeded within buildings in the last decade.

go well

I stand corrected--thanks. I am only familiar with US codes, and was addressing the OP's question from that perspective. I'll do more research or provide additional cautions in the future. I appreciate the info!

I stand corrected--thanks.

No problem!

The standard UK domestic supply connection is a 25mm (regulation) blue high density polythene pipe.

Within buildings the first generation grey poly water supply pipes are now being superceeded by the white second generation. Both are also hot water rated.

Gas supply is by a similar yellow pipe.

In most of the UK the original supply mains in the highways have been replaced with larger diameter pipes of similar specification.

:wink:

I know this is a little late... but wanted to add you should make sure it is a cold water pipe with running water. Not only do you have the pipe acting as a conductor, you also have the water acting as a conductor. And with running water in the pipe you can be reasonably sure it goes to ground.

Many, many moons ago there was a computer room / data center on the upper floors of a building that was experiencing intermittent system crashes. To make a long story short, it turned out the ground / ground grid was connected to a cold water pipe that exited the building on the same floor, and ran half way down the building towards the ground. Once in a while a taxi would stop below the pipe and pick up a passenger. The cabbie would radio dispatch with his new destination... the cold water pipe running half way down the building would act as an antenna... and something would crash. A tech that had been dispatched to find the problem was fortunate to be looking out of a window when the passenger was picked up. Even when you are good, sometimes you need to be lucky.

The phrase 'with running water' was added to the installation procedures.

g.

Related to Why Is Using a Cold Water Pipe with Running Water as a Ground More Effective?

What is a "cold water pipe as a ground"?

A "cold water pipe as a ground" refers to the practice of using a metal pipe, typically copper or galvanized steel, as a grounding source for electrical systems. This method utilizes the conductivity of the pipe to provide a safe pathway for electrical energy to dissipate into the ground.

Why is a cold water pipe used as a ground?

Cold water pipes are commonly used as a ground because they are easily accessible and have a low resistance to electricity, making them an efficient pathway for grounding electrical systems. They are also typically connected to the main water supply, which is buried deep in the ground and therefore provides a direct connection to the earth's surface.

Is it safe to use a cold water pipe as a ground?

Yes, it is generally safe to use a cold water pipe as a ground. However, it is important to ensure that the pipe is properly connected and meets local building codes and safety standards. It is also important to regularly check the pipe for any signs of corrosion or damage that could affect its conductivity.

What are the potential risks of using a cold water pipe as a ground?

One potential risk of using a cold water pipe as a ground is that if the pipe is not properly connected or corroded, it may not provide a reliable pathway for grounding electrical energy. This could result in electrical shocks or damage to electrical equipment. Additionally, if the cold water pipe is not the primary grounding source for the electrical system, there may be a risk of creating ground loops.

Are there any alternatives to using a cold water pipe as a ground?

Yes, there are alternative methods for grounding electrical systems, such as using grounding rods or plates directly connected to the earth. These methods may be more reliable and consistent than using a cold water pipe as a ground, especially in areas with poor water conductivity or where water pipes are not easily accessible.