Why is this force considered in the moment equation?

In summary, the professor used a different equation to find the force at H than the equation the student was using.
Jarvis88

Homework Statement

After reviewing a quiz I had in Statics, I realized I did not understand why a certain force was considered in the moments equation. If a force goes directly through the point of the moment, it is not considered when solving for a force using moments.

The question is asking us to use the method of sections by splitting the truss from section 1-1 and find the force in member BC.

Homework Equations

ΣMH=0
By the way, I substituted kips for k.

The Attempt at a Solution

ΣME=0 → -Ay(60 ft) +(40k)(45 ft)+ (40k)(30 ft)+ (40k)(15 ft)-(30k)(20 ft)=0.
Ay=50k.

The equation I would have used to find FBC: ΣMH=0 → -50k(15 ft) + FBC(20 ft)=0.
The equation the professor used to get the correct answer for the force along member BC: ΣMH=0 → (-30k)(20 ft) -50k(15 ft) + FBC(20 ft)=0

Why is the 30k force considered when it points directly into H? I understand it being used to find the moment about E, but not for the moment about H. Also, why is the lever arm distance 20 ft when the force is right at H?
20170402_001942.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see how the professor came up with the equation that he/she did. Your equation looks correct to me.

Jarvis88 said:
The equation I would have used to find FBC: ΣMH=0 →

You have not taken into account the horizontal component of FA.

Likes CWatters and TomHart
NascentOxygen said:
You have not taken into account the horizontal component of FA.
I looked at this for, not a long time, but a fair amount of time, considering, "Is there any other force that I am not seeing?" And still I missed it. :(

Hint: It's NOT the 30kips force at H they are using in the moments equation. My guess is you hadn't drawn a FBD of the bridge showing all the forces acting on it.

Related to Why is this force considered in the moment equation?

1. Why is force considered in the moment equation?

Force is considered in the moment equation because it is one of the fundamental quantities that affects the rotational motion of an object. The moment equation takes into account the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance from the pivot point, to determine the net torque on an object.

2. How does force impact the moment equation?

Force has a direct impact on the moment equation as it is one of the factors that contributes to the net torque on an object. The larger the force applied, the greater the torque, and the more likely an object will rotate or experience rotational motion.

3. Can the moment equation be used without considering force?

No, the moment equation cannot be used without considering force. Force is a crucial component in determining the net torque on an object and without it, the moment equation would not accurately describe the rotational motion of an object.

4. Why is it important to consider both force and distance in the moment equation?

Both force and distance are important factors in the moment equation as they determine the magnitude and direction of the net torque on an object. Without considering both of these factors, the moment equation would be incomplete and would not accurately describe the rotational motion of an object.

5. Are there any other factors besides force that are considered in the moment equation?

Yes, there are other factors besides force that are considered in the moment equation. These can include the angle of application of the force, the shape and size of the object, and the location of the pivot point. All of these factors contribute to the net torque on an object and must be taken into account when using the moment equation.