Why is there a space between two particles of a dipole

In summary, at the macroscopic level, a dipole can be created by attaching two opposite charges to the ends of a plastic rod. However, at the microscopic level, such as in a water molecule, the formation of opposite charges is a more complex process due to the differing electron affinities of the atoms involved. This leads to non-identical atoms bonding together and their electrons being shared unequally, resulting in a dipole or higher configuration. Therefore, the particles of a dipole are not necessarily protons and electrons, but can be atoms of different elements.
PurelyPhysical
If you consider an electric dipole, why is it that there is any space between the two particles at all? If both particles of opposite sign attract to each other with equal magnitude, shouldn't they just stick together?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are talking about a macroscopic dipole, you just stick two opposite charges to the ends of a plastic rod and you have a dipole. If you are talking about microscopic dipoles at the molecular level, sch as in a water molecule, The formation of opposite charges is a much more complicated affair. You should look up the the relative affinity to electrons of the oxygen atom and the hydrogen atom.

Chandra Prayaga said:
If you are talking about a macroscopic dipole, you just stick two opposite charges to the ends of a plastic rod and you have a dipole. If you are talking about microscopic dipoles at the molecular level, sch as in a water molecule, The formation of opposite charges is a much more complicated affair. You should look up the the relative affinity to electrons of the oxygen atom and the hydrogen atom.

I am referring to microscopic dipoles. I know from chemistry what electron affinity is, and that Oxygen has a higher electron affinity than Hydrogen. So, the particles of the dipole would be oxygen and hydrogen respectively? But then we are considering atoms of different elements as particles of our dipole. Is that the case?

PurelyPhysical said:
If you consider an electric dipole, why is it that there is any space between the two particles at all? If both particles of opposite sign attract to each other with equal magnitude, shouldn't they just stick together?

If separate a proton and an electron and then let them come together under their mutual attraction, you will have a hydrogen atom, which is perfectly neutral and not a dipole anymore.

Drakkith said:
If separate a proton and an electron and then let them come together under their mutual attraction, you will have a hydrogen atom, which is perfectly neutral and not a dipole anymore.

This is what I am referring to. How is it possible for dipoles to exist at the microscopic level, without them simply becoming a hydrogen atom?

PurelyPhysical said:
This is what I am referring to. How is it possible for dipoles to exist at the microscopic level, without them simply becoming a hydrogen atom?

I believe Chandra in post #2 touched on that. Molecules behave differently depending on which elements they are composed of. The basic idea is that when two non-identical atoms bond together, their electrons may or may not be shared equally between each other, which can lead to a dipole or higher configuration.

Drakkith said:
I believe Chandra in post #2 touched on that. Molecules behave differently depending on which elements they are composed of. The basic idea is that when two non-identical atoms bond together, their electrons may or may not be shared equally between each other, which can lead to a dipole or higher configuration.

Thank you, that makes sense. I was trying to imagine the particles in the dipole as protons and electrons, being the smallest postive and negative charges I could think of. I had to let go of that idea for this to make sense. Thanks again.

Related to Why is there a space between two particles of a dipole

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole refers to a molecule or atom that has a separation of positive and negative charges, usually due to differences in electronegativity between atoms.

2. Why is there a space between two particles of a dipole?

The space between two particles of a dipole is a result of the electrostatic force between the positive and negative charges. This force causes the particles to be slightly separated from each other.

3. How does the space between two particles of a dipole affect the overall polarity of the molecule?

The space between two particles of a dipole contributes to the overall polarity of the molecule. The larger the space between the charges, the more polar the molecule will be.

4. Can the space between two particles of a dipole change?

Yes, the space between two particles of a dipole can change depending on the environment or surrounding molecules. For example, in a polar solvent, the space between the particles may decrease due to stronger electrostatic interactions.

5. What is the significance of the space between two particles of a dipole in chemical reactions?

The space between two particles of a dipole can affect the strength of intermolecular forces and therefore, impact the stability and reactivity of a molecule. It can also play a role in determining the physical properties of a substance, such as melting and boiling points.