Why is the weak force 10^-7 times the electromagnetic force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force between two protons in the nucleus, with one person referencing a poster and a teacher's question in class. The other person suggests using Coulomb's law for the electromagnetic force and Fermi's four-fermion approximation for the weak interaction, but notes that the answer will not be exact due to different units and other factors. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of calculating fundamental strengths of interactions in current theories.
tzukishiro
In the case of two protons in the nucleus.
I've seen charts with that info, but I don't know how... How can I calculate that ratio?
I've looked everywhere, and I can't find anything...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
tzukishiro said:
I've seen charts with that info

Where?

In current theories, we cannot calculate the fundamental strength of interactions - they are purely experimental results. Once you measure that strength in one system, however (e. g. the lifetime of muons tells you how strong the weak interaction is), you can calculate the strength in other systems, based on lengthy quantum field theory calculations. To get a reasonable estimate, you can calculate something called propagator, which depends on the (measured) mass of the bosons that mediate this interaction, the distance, and take the coupling constant, everything combined gives you an idea how strong the interaction will be.

Likes tzukishiro
While you're at it, why is gravitation ~10^40 times weaker than electromagnetism? We don't know.

mfb said:
In current theories, we cannot calculate the fundamental strength of interactions - they are purely experimental results. Once you measure that strength in one system, however (e. g. the lifetime of muons tells you how strong the weak interaction is), you can calculate the strength in other systems, based on lengthy quantum field theory calculations. To get a reasonable estimate, you can calculate something called propagator, which depends on the (measured) mass of the bosons that mediate this interaction, the distance, and take the coupling constant, everything combined gives you an idea how strong the interaction will be.
Hmm, but then how did people come into the conclusion of my question? And yes, it's from that poster and a teacher also proposed the question in a class, I've been so confused and desperate looking into it hahah

tzukishiro said:
Hmm, but then how did people come into the conclusion of my question? And yes, it's from that poster and a teacher also proposed the question in a class, I've been so confused and desperate looking into it hahah
Do you know a bit of particle physics? For the electromagnetic force, you may simply use Coulomb's law with a typical value for the size of a nucleus.
For the weak interaction, you may use Fermi's four-fermion approximation where the coupling constant is basically Fermi's constant ##G_F/2## (at least I think there is a factor of 2 there) whose value you may look up. The units will not be the same and some work is required there. I would personally simply use ##\alpha_{em}/q^2 ## for the electromagnetic force, with ##q## the momentum corresponding to the size of a nucleus. And then the answer will basically be ##G_F## divided by ##\alpha_{em}/q^2 ##.

nrqed said:
Do you know a bit of particle physics? For the electromagnetic force, you may simply use Coulomb's law with a typical value for the size of a nucleus.
For the weak interaction, you may use Fermi's four-fermion approximation where the coupling constant is basically Fermi's constant ##G_F/2## (at least I think there is a factor of 2 there) whose value you may look up. The units will not be the same and some work is required there. I would personally simply use ##\alpha_{em}/q^2 ## for the electromagnetic force, with ##q## the momentum corresponding to the size of a nucleus. And then the answer will basically be ##G_F## divided by ##\alpha_{em}/q^2 ##.

In a very broad way, I'm not a physics student, but I took this course because we need to have a certain amount of courses outside our own field to graduate.
We don't really go into the math and hard deep physics of it, it's very superficial.

Gf divided by alpha/q^2 would give me said ratio? That kinda lost me, sorry

Here is my description from post #6 with numbers. Take two protons with a distance of 0.5 femtometer.

The photon is massless, therefore the electrostatic force follows an inverse square law. The force between the protons is ##F=\frac{q^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{r^2} = 920 N##.

The Z boson also leads to a force, but the Z has a nonzero mass. This leads to a Yukawa potential. The scaling constant k there can be taken as the ratio (speed of light)/(planck constant). Multiplying this with the Z mass and 0.5 femtometer gives -36, and ##e^{-36} \approx 2.3 \cdot 10^{-16}##. The prefactor we get from this page and messing around a bit, giving 1.1*107 N. Multiply with the term calculated before and we get ##2.5\cdot 10^{-9} N##. That is 11.5 orders of magnitude below the force of the electromagnetic interaction, not 7, but my choice of a distance was completely arbitrary (all choices are arbitrary, the poster author could have chosen a different one), and I ignored other prefactors as well.

Likes vanhees71 and nrqed

Related to Why is the weak force 10^-7 times the electromagnetic force?

1. Why is the weak force weaker than the electromagnetic force?

The weak force is weaker than the electromagnetic force because it acts over a much shorter range and is not as tightly bound to matter as the electromagnetic force. The weak force is also considered to be a residual force, meaning it is a remnant of a more fundamental force that has been broken down over time.

2. How do scientists measure the strength of the weak force?

The strength of the weak force is measured through various experiments, such as beta decay and neutrino interactions. These experiments involve measuring the rate at which particles decay or interact through the weak force, and comparing it to the rate of electromagnetic interactions.

3. What role does the Higgs boson play in the weak force?

The Higgs boson is an elementary particle that is responsible for giving mass to other particles through the Higgs field. This field is also responsible for breaking the symmetry between the weak force and the electromagnetic force, resulting in the weak force being much weaker than the electromagnetic force.

4. Is the weak force always weaker than the electromagnetic force?

While the weak force is generally considered to be weaker than the electromagnetic force, there are certain situations where the two forces can have similar strengths. For example, at extremely high energies, the weak force and electromagnetic force can have comparable strengths.

5. Can the strength of the weak force change over time?

The strength of the weak force is believed to have changed over time, particularly in the early stages of the universe. This is due to the fact that the Higgs field and other fundamental forces were in a different state during the early universe, resulting in different strengths for the weak force. However, in our current understanding of physics, the strength of the weak force is considered to be a constant value.