Why Is the Virtual Image in a Convex Mirror Always Smaller?

In summary, to prove that the virtual image in a convex mirror is always smaller than the real object, it can be shown that the magnification, m, is equal to 1 minus the ratio of the image distance, di, to the focal length, f. Since m is always positive for convex mirrors, the maximum value it can have is 1, indicating that the virtual image is always smaller than the real object. This can be derived by considering the case when the object is at infinity, where the image is formed at the focus.
IniquiTrance

Homework Statement

Prove that the virtual image in a convex mirror is always smaller than the real object.

Homework Equations

[tex] m = -\frac{d_{i}}{d_{O}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not a homework problem. Something which is bothering me, and haven't been able to prove yet.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When the object is at infinity, where the image is formed in convex mirror. Now write the relation between di, do and f with proper sign. Multiply by di to each term on both the side and find the relation for m. From the result, see whether you get your answer.

Thanks for the response.

When the object is at infinity, the image is formed at the focus.

When I multiply both sides by di, I get [tex]-m + 1 = \frac{d_{i}}{f}[/tex]

I still don't see why this proves [tex] |m|< 1 [/tex] :(

Ah ok I see it.

[tex]m = 1 - \frac{d_{i}}{f}[/tex]

Since [tex]m = -\frac{d_{i}}{d_{O}}> 0[/tex] for convex mirrors, since the image is behind the mirror, while the object is in front, m is at max 1.

Thanks!

Related to Why Is the Virtual Image in a Convex Mirror Always Smaller?

1. How does the image size in convex mirrors compare to that of concave mirrors?

In convex mirrors, the image size is always smaller than the object size, while in concave mirrors, the image size can be either larger or smaller than the object size depending on the distance between the object and the mirror.

2. Can the image size in convex mirrors be larger than the object size?

No, the image size in convex mirrors is always smaller than the object size regardless of the distance between the object and the mirror.

3. How does the distance between the object and the convex mirror affect the image size?

The farther the object is from the convex mirror, the smaller the image size will be. As the object moves closer to the mirror, the image size will appear to increase.

4. Are convex mirrors used in any real-world applications?

Yes, convex mirrors are commonly used in security systems, such as surveillance cameras and rear-view mirrors in cars. They are also used in convex traffic mirrors to provide a wider field of view for drivers.

5. Do convex mirrors produce a real or virtual image?

Convex mirrors produce virtual images, meaning the light rays do not actually converge to form an image. Instead, the image appears to be behind the mirror, and it cannot be projected onto a screen.