Why Is the Uncertainty in a Cat's Weight Considered 1lb and Not 2lb?

In summary: When you weigh yourself on the scale, you read directly from the scale and take the reported value as the measured result. However let us add one step to the procedure. Before you step on the scale, you first twirl a calibration knob so that the scale reading is zeroed.Now the weight of the man is the difference between two readings. And the weight of the cat is the difference between two readings.The approach of adding the errors for the two measurements in quadrature (##\sqrt{e_1^2 + e_2^2}##) is misguided in this case. It would be proper for combining independent, normally distributed errors. But in this case we have quantization errors
walking
This is from Halliday et al Physics 4e, p9, sample problem 3.

Problem:

PHWar.png

X3lK2.png

My question: Why do the authors say that the weight of the cat has 1lb uncertainty rather than 2lb? Isn't it between 127.5-119.5=8lb, and 10lb, hence 9lb+-1lb ie uncertainty of $$\frac{2}{9}\times 100 = 22\%$$ rather than 11%?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest, I'm not sure if any of that is right. Reading to the nearest whole number of ##\text{lb}## implies that your measurements are ##m_1 = (119 \pm 0.5) \text{lb}## and ##m_2 = (128 \pm 0.5) \text{lb}##. Since ##m_c = m_2 - m_1##, the error in ##m_c## is$$\Delta m_c = \sqrt{(0.5 \text{lb})^2 + (0.5 \text{lb})^2} \approx 0.7 \text{lb}$$and the fractional error is then ##\frac{\Delta m_c}{m_c} \approx 8\%##

Likes vanhees71
etotheipi said:
To be honest, I'm not sure if any of that is right. Reading to the nearest whole number of ##\text{lb}## implies that your measurements are ##m_1 = (119 \pm 0.5) \text{lb}## and ##m_2 = (128 \pm 0.5) \text{lb}##. Since ##m_c = m_2 - m_1##, the error in ##m_c## is$$\Delta m_c = \sqrt{(0.5 \text{lb})^2 + (0.5 \text{lb})^2} \approx 0.7 \text{lb}$$and the fractional error is then ##\frac{\Delta m_c}{m_c} \approx 8\%##
Thanks etothepi.

However I was more trying to understand the author's approach (even if not technically correct, as I now understand from your post?). Basically it seems that they used their approach in a wrong way and I was just asking if my method was correct or not. They use a certain approach for the first part to get 8%, but then when I applied it to the second part (the cat's weight) I got 22% instead of the 11% they get.

At this level (beginner level undergraduate physics), would you still recommend that I ignore the author's method altogether and learn how to do it using the method you used? I am happy to dedicate some extra time on the side for learning how to deal with errors properly if you think it would be a good idea at this stage.

One can argue that there is actually no inconsistency in the approach taken.

When you weigh yourself on the scale, you read directly from the scale and take the reported value as the measured result. However let us add one step to the procedure. Before you step on the scale, you first twirl a calibration knob so that the scale reading is zeroed.

Now the weight of the man is the difference between two readings. And the weight of the cat is the difference between two readings.

The approach of adding the errors for the two measurements in quadrature (##\sqrt{e_1^2 + e_2^2}##) is misguided in this case. It would be proper for combining independent, normally distributed errors. But in this case we have quantization errors -- independent with a bounded uniform distribution. [I've made some questionable assumptions by idealizing away all other sources of experimental error here]

Edit: I also neglected to specify the knob twirling procedure. You close your eyes, twirl the knob and see whether the result is zero. If not, then you try again. The result should then approximate a uniform distribution of calibrations such that the scale returns an unbiased measurement on average.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes etotheipi and gmax137

Related to Why Is the Uncertainty in a Cat's Weight Considered 1lb and Not 2lb?

1. What factors contribute to uncertainty in a cat's weight?

The main factors that contribute to uncertainty in a cat's weight include variations in the cat's diet, exercise levels, and overall health. Other factors such as age, breed, and genetics can also play a role in weight fluctuations.

2. How accurate are weight measurements for cats?

The accuracy of weight measurements for cats can vary depending on the method used. Weighing a cat on a scale is generally considered the most accurate method, but even then, there may be slight variations due to factors such as the cat's movement or the scale's calibration. Other methods, such as measuring with a tape measure, may be less accurate.

3. Can a cat's weight change throughout the day?

Yes, a cat's weight can fluctuate throughout the day due to factors such as food and water intake, elimination, and activity levels. It is best to weigh a cat at the same time each day for more consistent measurements.

4. How can I reduce uncertainty in my cat's weight measurements?

To reduce uncertainty in your cat's weight measurements, it is important to use the same method and scale for each measurement. It is also helpful to weigh your cat at the same time each day and to keep track of any changes in their diet or exercise habits.

5. Are there any health concerns related to uncertainty in a cat's weight?

While fluctuations in a cat's weight can be normal, consistent weight loss or gain may be a sign of underlying health issues. It is important to monitor your cat's weight and consult a veterinarian if you notice any significant changes.