Why is the Pressure Drop Uneven in Two Equal Impedance Tubes?

In summary, Wombat has discovered that two small ID tubes with equal impedance to air flow show an uneven pressure drop when connected in series with one end exposed to a constant vacuum and the other end open to atmosphere. The pressure drop is less than expected due to a pinch effect and changes in density as the gas flows faster in the second part of the apparatus. The resistance in this system may not be linear, and cooling effects may also play a role. Further experimentation may be needed to determine the exact cause of the uneven pressure drop.
wombat
Hi All,

I've come across something that surprised me but I'm sure has a logical explanation...

I have a two small ID tubes that have exactly equal impedance to air flow (for the purposes of the discussion the flow is 2ml/min). I connect them in series with one end of the system exposed to a constant vacuum of 10kPa below atmosphere and the other end open to atmosphere.

[Tube A] [Tube B]
[Atmosphere] ========= + ========= [-10kPa Vacuum]
^
[ Pressure Read Here]

I measure the pressure between the two tubes relative to atmosphere and I don't get -5kPa (ie half of -10kPa), instead I get something less, like -4.8kPa. Why is there an uneven drop in pressure through the two tubes. I assume it's to do with changing density but I can't put it into words.

Thanks in advance,
Wombat

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like my ascii diagram got butchered as the forum code removes multiple spaces.

Pressure is read in between the two tubes (where the '+' is) .

Wombat

Two guesses.
There is a pinch effect going on, like three lanes of traffic being squeezed into two.
It's an artifact of your measurement setup.

The tubes themselves may present the same impedance but the mouth of the first tube should add another impedance to that tube and cause your pressure reading to be low, not high.

What about if a chamber was added between the two tubes to help remove any velocity related measurement error possibilities? Also, now the second tube would have an identical mouth presented to the chamber so its impedance should match the first.

Cliff

Thanks for the replies so far. There is effectively a chamber between the two as the T-piece where the transducer nozzle connects is quite a large part relative to the size of the tubes. I'm doubtful of any effects due the mouth are dominating the readings as the flow's are very low and as I say, the mouths are basically the same.

The measurement setup has been done numerous time with different equipment and all with the same result. I've also tried different tube lengths and ID's (25uM -> 560uM). I also have high quality flow-meters, transducers etc.

Wombat

Cliff_J said:
Also, now the second tube would have an identical mouth presented to the chamber so its impedance should match the first.
Wouldn't the change in air pressure alter the impedance?

wombat said:
There is effectively a chamber between the two as the T-piece where the transducer nozzle connects is quite a large part relative to the size of the tubes.
Is there a temperature difference that might have to be accounted for?
If you can measure flow directly, does inserting the chamber alter the flow rate?

NoTime said:
Wouldn't the change in air pressure alter the impedance?

Yes will lower the effect but again it should still be lower for the second tube. At least how I'm visualizing it... :confused:

How about 3 tubes with similar connections to read the pressure at two points along a longer tube?

Cliff

Cliff_J said:
Yes will lower the effect but again it should still be lower for the second tube. At least how I'm visualizing it... :confused:
Isn't -4.8 less than the expected -5 kpa?
From your other post and this I get the impression you think he said the pressure is higher than expected? :confused:

Edit: nevermind looks like I was misreading it.

Last edited:
As the gas pressure lowers, the volume of the gas increases. As the same mass of gas is passing through both sections, this means it has to flow faster in the second part of the apparatus. Because of the faster flow, there is more resistance and so you drop only 4.8 across the first (slow flowing) part, and 5.2 across the second (faster flowing) part.

Actually it is more complicated than that, as the gas will also cool down as it expands.

Don't expect linear results in this sort of system.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply Ceptimus.

Just so I'm clear... Pressure drop is equal to volume-flow x resistance. Therefore I imagine that resistance could be in units such as Pa.secs/m^3 ?

I don't think cooling effects will be an issue for our system but I take your point.

Related to Why is the Pressure Drop Uneven in Two Equal Impedance Tubes?

What is air pressure curiosity?

Air pressure curiosity refers to the scientific concept of the force exerted by the weight of the atmosphere on objects on the Earth's surface.

How is air pressure curiosity measured?

Air pressure curiosity is typically measured using a device called a barometer, which can be either an aneroid or a mercury barometer. These devices measure the pressure exerted by the atmosphere in units of pressure called millibars.

What factors can affect air pressure curiosity?

The main factors that can affect air pressure curiosity include temperature, altitude, and weather patterns. As temperature increases, air molecules become more energetic and spread out, resulting in lower air pressure. Similarly, air pressure decreases with increasing altitude, since there are fewer air molecules present at higher elevations. Weather patterns, such as high and low pressure systems, can also impact air pressure curiosity.

Why is air pressure curiosity important in weather forecasting?

Air pressure curiosity is an important factor in weather forecasting because it can provide valuable information about changes in weather patterns. For example, a decrease in air pressure can indicate the approach of a storm, while a rise in air pressure can signal the arrival of fair weather. Additionally, changes in air pressure can also impact wind patterns and temperature, which are key components of weather forecasting.

What are some real-world applications of understanding air pressure curiosity?

Understanding air pressure curiosity has a wide range of real-world applications, including aviation, scuba diving, and weather forecasting. In aviation, accurate knowledge of air pressure is crucial for safe takeoffs and landings, as well as for determining the performance of aircraft. In scuba diving, proper monitoring of air pressure is essential for safe diving and avoiding the dangerous condition of decompression sickness. Finally, in weather forecasting, air pressure is a key factor in predicting and monitoring weather patterns, which has important implications for agriculture, transportation, and disaster preparedness.