Why Is the Average Speed Not Simply the Arithmetic Mean of Two Speeds?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average speed when the distance is not known. The problem is presented as a person traveling to a friend's house at varying speeds and wanting to calculate the average speed for the entire journey. The conversation suggests using dimensional analysis to solve the problem.
marco101
I just wanted to know how to find average speed without knowing the distance. I know average speed is defined as total distance / change in time but what would you do
a person travels to a friend's house and when he is halfway there, he figures out that he has been averaging 30 mph. He drives the last half of the trip at 60 mph.
What is Joe’s average speed for the entire journey?

I figured it was just 30 + 60 divided by 2 but apparently i am wrong. anyone can help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not quite that linear because you cover more per time going 60 miles per hour than 30 miles per hour.

We will use dimensional analysis just to make sure our operations are making sense.

60 (m/h) * x (h) + y (m/h) * x (h) = c miles

we also know that 30 (m/h) = c (m) / 2x (h)

so 2x (h) = c (m) / 30 (m/h)

So now you can solve for x, the c's will cancel out (cause it doesn't depend on the distance traveled), solve then for y, and you'll get the answer.

Last edited:

Hello there,

Thank you for your question. Finding average speed without knowing the distance can be a bit tricky, but it is definitely possible. In this scenario, we have a person who travels to their friend's house and halfway through the trip, they realize they have been averaging 30 mph. For the second half of the trip, they drive at 60 mph. The question is, what is the person's average speed for the entire journey?

The formula for average speed is indeed total distance divided by change in time. However, in this case, we do not have the total distance. So, we need to use a different approach. We can use the concept of weighted average to find the average speed.

To calculate the weighted average, we need to multiply each speed by the time it was traveled and then divide the sum of these values by the total time traveled. In this scenario, the first half of the trip was traveled at 30 mph for half the time, and the second half was traveled at 60 mph for the other half of the time.

So, the calculation would be: (30 mph x 0.5 hours) + (60 mph x 0.5 hours) / (0.5 hours + 0.5 hours) = (15 mph + 30 mph) / 1 hour = 45 mph / 1 hour = 45 mph

Therefore, Joe's average speed for the entire journey is 45 mph.

I hope this helps clarify how to find average speed without knowing the distance. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. I am always happy to help with any scientific inquiries.

Best regards,

Related to Why Is the Average Speed Not Simply the Arithmetic Mean of Two Speeds?

1. What is average speed?

Average speed is the measure of distance traveled per unit of time. It is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

2. How is average speed different from instantaneous speed?

Average speed takes into account the total distance traveled and the total time taken, while instantaneous speed only measures the speed at a specific moment in time.

3. How is average speed calculated?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. The formula for average speed is: speed = distance/time.

4. What units are used to measure average speed?

Average speed is typically measured in units of distance per unit of time, such as miles per hour or kilometers per hour.

5. Why is average speed an important concept in science?

Average speed is an important concept in science because it allows us to measure and compare the rate at which objects are moving. It is also used in many scientific calculations and experiments, such as in studying the motion of objects and calculating acceleration.