Why is the attractive force if magnetism not accelerative?

In summary, the rate of acceleration for an object on Earth's surface is 9.8m/s2 due to Earth's gravitational attraction. The rate of attraction between two magnets depends on their strength, but without that information, the question cannot be answered. The question about the rate of acceleration in attraction between two magnetic poles is a qualitative one, and can be answered.
Trojan666ru
If i put something from space to Earth it accelerates at a rate of 9.8m/s2, why is it so?
Does acceleration happens in attraction between two magnetic poles?
If so what is its rate?

Physics news on Phys.org
The attraction between an object and the Earth gets stronger as the object gets closer.

Does this happen with a magnet?

There are two questions here. An object on Earth's surface accelerates at 9.8m/s2 because of Earth's gravitational attraction. The rate of attraction between two magnets depends on how strong they are. You didn't give us that information so we cannot answer your question.

dauto said:
There are two questions here. An object on Earth's surface accelerates at 9.8m/s2 because of Earth's gravitational attraction. The rate of attraction between two magnets depends on how strong they are. You didn't give us that information so we cannot answer your question.

No, his question was qualitative, not quantitative, so we CAN answer it. I've already given him the answer, basically.

phinds said:
No, his question was qualitative, not quantitative, so we CAN answer it. I've already given him the answer, basically.

He asked
what is its rate?

I read that as quantitative. Am I wrong?

dauto said:
He asked

I read that as quantitative. Am I wrong?

OOPS ... no, you're not, I am. :redface:

Related to Why is the attractive force if magnetism not accelerative?

1. Why is magnetism considered a non-accelerative force?

Magnetism is a non-accelerative force because it does not cause a change in the speed or direction of a moving object. Instead, magnetism acts as a force that attracts or repels objects without causing them to accelerate.

2. How does the attractive force of magnetism differ from other forces?

The attractive force of magnetism is unique because it does not follow the typical Newton's laws of motion. Unlike other forces, such as gravity or friction, the attractive force of magnetism does not result in acceleration.

3. What causes the attractive force of magnetism?

The attractive force of magnetism is caused by the alignment of electrons in a magnetic material. When the electrons in the material are aligned in the same direction, they create a magnetic field that can attract or repel other magnetic objects.

4. Can magnetism ever be considered an accelerative force?

No, magnetism can never be considered an accelerative force because it does not cause a change in the speed or direction of an object. Even when a magnetic object is in motion, the force of magnetism will not cause it to accelerate.

5. How does the strength of a magnetic field affect the attractive force of magnetism?

The strength of a magnetic field directly affects the attractive force of magnetism. The stronger the magnetic field, the more force it will exert on other magnetic objects. This is why larger magnets with stronger magnetic fields can attract or repel objects from a greater distance.