Why is the acceleration in the same direction as the net force and friction?

In summary, the equation -fk = ma can be rewritten as -fk = -ma, taking into account the direction and magnitude of the vectors involved. This rule also applies to the components of the vectors, where the negative direction is represented by a negative sign. Therefore, both sides of the equation must be written in magnitude form to accurately represent the relationship between friction, net force, and acceleration.
undividable
My question is simple, in the problem on the picture that i uploaded, why is -fk =ma
I understand the friction is in the negative direction, só it is negative, but the netforce, and the aceleration, are also in the negative direction ,só why are they positive? Shouldt it be -fk=-ma ?

Attachments

• _20170828_210336.JPG
    _20170828_210336.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you follow the rule that taking off the arrowhead gives the magnitude, you can write:
##-f_k=m a_x## or ##-f_k=-ma##.
That is, distinguish the "magnitude of the vector" ##a=\left|\vec a\right|## from its x-component ##a_x##.

From the beginning...
In vector-form,
it's ##\vec f_k \stackrel{this\ problem}{=}\vec F_{net} \stackrel{Newton II}{=} m\vec a##.
In component-form,
it's ##(f_k)_x=F_{net,x}=ma_x##.

Based on the diagram, with the given friction force vector and the positive-x direction to the right,
this can be rewritten as
##-\left|\vec f_k\right|=ma_x##. ( So, since ##m>0##, we expect ##a_x<0##. )
The left-side is in terms of the magnitude of ##\vec f_k## and the right-side is in terms of the x-component of ##\vec a##.

We could also write both sides in magnitude-form.
##-\left|\vec f_k\right|=m(-\left|\vec a\right|)##, or ##-\left|\vec f_k\right|=-m\left|\vec a\right|##.

undividable said:
My question is simple, in the problem on the picture that i uploaded, why is -fk =ma
I understand the friction is in the negative direction, só it is negative, but the netforce, and the aceleration, are also in the negative direction ,só why are they positive? Shouldt it be -fk=-ma ?
Use the same process I explained last time.

Related to Why is the acceleration in the same direction as the net force and friction?

1. What is the direction of acceleration?

The direction of acceleration is the direction in which an object is changing its velocity. It can be in the same direction as the object's motion, opposite to the object's motion, or perpendicular to the object's motion.

2. How is the direction of acceleration calculated?

The direction of acceleration is calculated using vector addition. The acceleration vector is added to the velocity vector, and the resulting vector represents the direction of acceleration.

3. Can the direction of acceleration change?

Yes, the direction of acceleration can change if the object is experiencing a change in its velocity. This can happen if the object is speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration refers to an increase in velocity in the same direction as the object's motion, while negative acceleration refers to a decrease in velocity in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

5. How does the direction of acceleration affect an object's motion?

The direction of acceleration determines the direction in which an object's velocity will change. If the acceleration and velocity are in the same direction, the object will speed up. If they are in opposite directions, the object will slow down. If the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity, the object will change direction without changing its speed.