Why is my approach for finding the number of R-submodules of E incorrect?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of R-submodules in an n-dimensional vector space E over a field k. It is explained that W, a nontrivial R-submodule, can be considered as a k-vector subspace of E and has a basis that can be extended to a basis for E. However, the claim that W is closed under scalar multiplication with respect to R is proven incorrect through the use of the linear transformation T. The conversation ends with the question of where the reasoning went wrong.
lugita15

Homework Statement

Let E be an n-dimensional vector space over a field k. Then if R is the ring of diagonal n-by-n matrices over k, E can be considered as a module over R, with the scalar multiplication diag(λ_1,...,λ_n)(a_1*e_1+...+a_n*e_n)=λ_1*a_1*e_1+...+λ_n*a_n*e_n, where e_1..._e_n form a basis for E as a vector space over k. Find the number of R-submodules of E.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If W is a nontrivial R-submodule of E, then it is a k-vector subspace of E (this is trivial), so it has a basis w_1...w_m which can be extended to a basis w_1...w_n of E as a vector space over k. Then let the linear transformation T from E to E be defined by T(w_m)=w_m+1 and T(w_i)=0 for i not equal to m. Then T is diagonalizable, so it has an eigenbasis v_1...v_n for E, such that a subset, say v_1...v_m is a basis for W. With respect to the basis v_1...v_n, the matrix representation A of T is diagonal and thus A is an element of R. So we have Aw_m=w_m+1, which is not an element of W, so W is not closed under scalar multiplication with respect to R and thus W is not an R-submodule. Thus the only R-submodules of E are {1} and E.

It turns out that my answer is wrong, and if you want I can provide a link to the correct solution. But where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Om, any thoughts on this?

lugita15 said:
Then T is diagonalizable

Why??

so it has an eigenbasis v_1...v_n for E, such that a subset, say v_1...v_m is a basis for W.

Why??

Related to Why is my approach for finding the number of R-submodules of E incorrect?

What is a module over a matrix ring?

A module over a matrix ring is a vector space that is acted upon by a ring of matrices. This means that the elements of the vector space can be multiplied by elements of the matrix ring, resulting in a new element of the vector space.

How is a module over a matrix ring different from a vector space?

A module over a matrix ring is similar to a vector space in that it is a set of elements that can be added and multiplied by scalars. However, in a module over a matrix ring, the scalars are elements of a ring of matrices instead of just numbers. This allows for more complex operations and structures.

What are some examples of modules over a matrix ring?

Some common examples of modules over a matrix ring include modules over the ring of real or complex matrices, modules over the ring of polynomials with matrix coefficients, and modules over the ring of functions with matrix values.

What is the importance of modules over a matrix ring in mathematics?

Modules over a matrix ring are important in many areas of mathematics, including linear algebra, abstract algebra, and representation theory. They provide a way to study the structures and properties of vector spaces in a more general and abstract setting.

How are modules over a matrix ring used in applications?

Modules over a matrix ring have many practical applications, such as in coding theory, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. They allow for the manipulation of complex data structures and the development of efficient algorithms for various problems.