Why is it that we can say: MITOSIS = CELLULAR IMMORTALITY?

• Thread starter reyrey389
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking why and how protein synthesis can occur at the same time as DNA replication in the cell during the S phase. The person asking the question heard their teacher mention this, but they forgot the explanation. They are wondering if someone can explain this concept.
reyrey389
Why exactly might mitosis be though of as cellular immortality?

Physics news on Phys.org
reyrey389 said:
Why exactly might mitosis be though of as cellular immortality?

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? Is it for schoolwork?

berkeman, i got the answer, now I am just confused on why and how protein synthesis may occur in the S phase. My teacher was explaining how protein synthesis and DNA replication may both occur at the same time, but I kind of forgot hearing why and how...

Question about DNA Replication and Protein Synthesis

How and why is it that protein synthesis may occur at the same time as DNA replication in the cell; in the S phase.?

I know this is true for sure because I heard my teacher say so; however, I forgot hearing her saying why and how...
So If someone may please explain, I'd really appreciate it :D

Last edited:

reyrey389 said:
How and why is it that protein synthesis may occur at the same time as DNA replication in the cell; in the S phase.?

I know this is true for sure because I heard my teacher say so; however, I forgot hearing her saying why and how...
So If someone may please explain, I'd really appreciate it :D

What makes you think that this cannot happen? Remember that DNA is not directly involved in the translation process.

Related to Why is it that we can say: MITOSIS = CELLULAR IMMORTALITY?

1. What is mitosis?

Mitosis is the process by which a single cell divides into two identical daughter cells. It is a crucial part of the cell cycle and allows for growth and repair in multicellular organisms.

2. How does mitosis lead to cellular immortality?

Mitosis is a continuous process that allows cells to divide and replicate indefinitely. This means that a single cell can theoretically produce endless generations of identical daughter cells, leading to cellular immortality.

3. Is mitosis the only factor contributing to cellular immortality?

No, there are other factors that contribute to cellular immortality such as telomere maintenance, DNA repair mechanisms, and cell signaling pathways. However, mitosis is a crucial component as it allows for the continuous division and replication of cells.

4. Are all cells immortal through mitosis?

Not all cells are immortal through mitosis. For example, nerve and muscle cells in humans do not undergo mitosis and have limited lifespans. However, some cells such as stem cells and cancer cells have the ability to continuously divide through mitosis, leading to cellular immortality.

5. Can mitosis ever go wrong and lead to cellular mortality?

Yes, mitosis can go wrong and lead to cellular mortality. Errors in the mitotic process, such as chromosome missegregation or abnormal cell division, can result in cell death or mutations that can lead to diseases such as cancer.