Why is it important to enjoy the thinking process?

• Thread starter Howers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, humans may fear thinking because it requires effort and can be mentally taxing. This may stem from societal acceptance of being lazy or bad at math. However, some people may enjoy challenging themselves with difficult math problems. Ultimately, people will do what they enjoy and find rewarding, whether it is watching TV or studying theoretical math.
Howers
Why do humans fear thinking? From personal experience, I've seen people scuttle at the thought of homework or some mathematical calculation. It seems we are inherently lazy. Is this because the thinking process requires tremendous energy or what?

If I asked you to simplify (a + b)^7 x (x + c)^3 you'd all sigh.

Science news on Phys.org
I don't know if the root is a fear of thinking, but it's certainly socially acceptable to be lazy/bad at math.

I bet every one of us has experienced this: you're at a social function. A person asks you about your career/schooling/interests. You say, I'm a scientist, or I studied physics in college. At best, the person says nothing and the conversation dies an awkward death; at worst, they go on about how bad they are at math, and start apologizing for how bad they did in high school algebra. "Oh I can't do math! I've flunked math since 5th grade!"

Now, would they do similar apologizing if they were bad at reading? Does anyone ever say, "Oh, I'm terrible at reading! In fact, I'm practically illiterate!" and laugh it off?

Why is it so acceptable to be bad at math?

Howers said:

Really? That might apply generally, but do you really think it applies here? :biggrin:

The social climate somehow is completely ignorant of the fact that scientists and people who work in science are normal human beings with normal abilities; the only discernible difference from most of the population is that they choose to follow a different passion.

Replace all "I can'ts" to "Yes I cans" and you will be amazed you could accomplish more. It should apply to all areas in life.

I fear thinking about heights, and centipides and that's about it.
That equation? naa...not too intimidating :smile:

I am not talking about social situations or "I can'ts". I am saying when you are home alone you'd much rather relax and say watch TV than to read theoretical math.

lisab said:
I don't know if the root is a fear of thinking, but it's certainly socially acceptable to be lazy/bad at math.

I bet every one of us has experienced this: you're at a social function. A person asks you about your career/schooling/interests. You say, I'm a scientist, or I studied physics in college. At best, the person says nothing and the conversation dies an awkward death; at worst, they go on about how bad they are at math, and start apologizing for how bad they did in high school algebra. "Oh I can't do math! I've flunked math since 5th grade!"

Now, would they do similar apologizing if they were bad at reading? Does anyone ever say, "Oh, I'm terrible at reading! In fact, I'm practically illiterate!" and laugh it off?

You haven't visited The South much have you? :biggrin:

If given (a + b)^7 x (x + c)^3 to expand out, I would sigh just because once you've done (a+b)^4 x (x+c)^3, it gets a little old.

But thinking like if I try that I might fail? It's usually for me, due to some initial failures and then giving up even when I know that I might just succeed on the next try, no real need to waste my time trying is I have more failures than successes,unless I am guaranteed a payoff.

Howers said:
I am not talking about social situations or "I can'ts". I am saying when you are home alone you'd much rather relax and say watch TV than to read theoretical math.

Assume, everyone loves to work and none of us is lazy and we don't have cars yet.

Would we think of making life easier by making cars (so that we don't have to walk long distances - no one complains)?

I don't know if it is right, but everything that we invent is to make our lives easier. So, we seem to be naturally lazy like water (it always takes the shortest possible distance)/nature

Likes sbrothy
Howers said:
I *LOVE* ancient Icelandic sagas. I'll bet you will find more people that love to work out math problems than are into the

The Laxdale Saga

Chapter 1 - Of Ketill Flatnose and his Descendants, 9th Century A.D.
Ketill Flatnose was the name of a man. He was the son of Bjorn the Ungartered. Ketill was a mighty and high-born chieftain (hersir) in Norway. He abode in Raumsdale, within the folkland of the Raumsdale people, which lies between Southmere and Northmere. Ketill Flatnose had for wife Yngvild, daughter of Ketill Wether, who was a man of exceeding great worth. They had five children; one was named Bjorn the Eastman, and another Helgi Bjolan. Thorunn the Horned was the name of one of Ketill's daughters, who was the wife of Helgi the Lean, son of Eyvind Eastman, and Rafarta, daughter of Kjarval, the Irish king. Unn "the Deep-minded" was another of Ketill's daughters, and was the wife of Olaf the White, son of Ingjald, who was son of Frodi the Valiant, who was slain by the Svertlings. Jorunn, "Men's Wit-breaker," was the name of yet another of Ketill's daughters. She was the mother of Ketill the Finn, who settled on land at Kirkby. His son was Asbjorn, father of Thorstein, father of Surt, the father of Sighat the Speaker-at-Law.

http://www.sagadb.org/laxdaela_saga.en

People will do what they enjoy doing, some people find throwong themselves into a difficult math problem very rewarding. I should know, I dated a Math major at Rice university.

Last edited:
Howers said:

I hate TV. To be honest, I rather study than not. I wish I were in school right now.

Howers said:

But I really do fear those things and do I say panic attack?

Well I do watch some junk on TV but I love NATURE and NOVA and the news...that's the tv I watch. (about it) I read my chemistry book in my spare time. ^____^

lisab said:
I bet every one of us has experienced this: you're at a social function. A person asks you about your career/schooling/interests. You say, I'm a scientist, or I studied physics in college. . . . .
The moment I mention nuclear, I used to be asked if I did nuclear weapons. These days I get questions about some pop sci article on something nuclear, usually nuclear power or nuclear waste.

kingdomof said:
The social climate somehow is completely ignorant of the fact that scientists and people who work in science are normal human beings with normal abilities; the only discernible difference from most of the population is that they choose to follow a different passion.

it almost sounds like 'scientists and people who work in science are normal human beings' are the only normal ones, and everyone else is messed up

rewebster said:
it almost sounds like 'scientists and people who work in science are normal human beings' are the only normal ones, and everyone else is messed up

I agree with you, but I didn't want to take too strong of a position. ;p

Howers said:
Why do humans fear thinking? From personal experience, I've seen people scuttle at the thought of homework or some mathematical calculation. It seems we are inherently lazy. Is this because the thinking process requires tremendous energy or what?

Just because I don't like math doesn't mean I don't like to think. Most of my favourite pass times include a lot of thought. I throw myself into them and enjoy myself alot.

Howers said:

I would sigh... why would anyone want to do that? What joy is there in simplifying that expression? What point is there in simplifying that expression? Give us a real math problem, one that makes us think, and is interesting, and you'll see (especially here) that there will be numerous people that are interested.

Howers said:

You might want to broaden your definition of thinking. It's not limited to math calculations and homework. Someone creating a meal can be performing intense thought and creativity. Open your own ideas a bit and you'll see a whole bunch more thinking going on around you.

lisab said:

I have a bit of a quibble with you lisab. I routinely have people announce to me how bad they are at spelling and grammar and simultaneously announce that they don't care or think it's important. I also hear people turn their nose up and say they have better things to do with their time than read.

I don't necessarily think it's any more acceptable for people to happily claim to be bad at math than other disciplines.

GeorginaS said:
I have a bit of a quibble with you lisab. I routinely have people announce to me how bad they are at spelling and grammar and simultaneously announce that they don't care or think it's important. I also hear people turn their nose up and say they have better things to do with their time than read.

I don't necessarily think it's any more acceptable for people to happily claim to be bad at math than other disciplines.

I have to agree. If you go on myspace there's a section for books under interests and I'd say about 90% of the people whose pages I have browsed through have nothing there or it just says "magazines". Then there are the few that put the title of the one book they ever read that they enjoyed (probably made to read it in high school or some thing). Very few have a substantial listing in that category.
The thing that scared me the most was meeting a woman at a bar who was a high school american history teacher and said that she didn't like to read.

Howers said:
I am saying when you are home alone you'd much rather relax and say watch TV than to read theoretical math.

This is madness! (However I am sitting by a computer right now browsing a forum.)

Changing peoples definition of what is work and what is fun would help alot, what annoys me is the Norwegian basic school attitude with "it's ok not to like mathematics." Just because it demands a little more from the teachers to get the students over the "this is actually easy"-brink.

And without hijacking the thread, in response the TheStatuatoryApe meeting a high school history teacher who didn't like to read, Jarle and me had a high school maths teacher who didn't believe in Euclid's proof of an infinite number of primes, and didn't understand Euler's one.

Evo said:
I *LOVE* ancient Icelandic sagas.
Oh I can't read them! I've flunked ancient Icelandic sagas since 5th grade!

Anyone can achieve a small amount of success at anything they put their hand to. The more practice you get at it, the better you will do. But before you can put in a lot of practice, you need to enjoy doing it. When people get all impressed at how much physics I know (I assure you, no physicist was ever impressed by it), I tell them to find things they enjoy doing.

Related to Why is it important to enjoy the thinking process?

1. Why is it important to enjoy the thinking process?

Enjoying the thinking process helps to facilitate creativity and innovation. When you are truly engaged and enjoying the process of thinking, you are more likely to come up with unique and novel ideas. It also helps to improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

2. How does enjoying the thinking process impact personal growth?

When you enjoy the thinking process, you become more open-minded and willing to consider different perspectives and ideas. This can lead to personal growth and development as you challenge your own beliefs and expand your knowledge and understanding of the world.

3. Can enjoying the thinking process increase productivity?

Yes, enjoying the thinking process can lead to increased productivity. When you are fully engaged and interested in what you are thinking about, you are more likely to stay focused and motivated. This can lead to more efficient and effective problem-solving and decision-making.

4. How does enjoying the thinking process improve overall well-being?

Enjoying the thinking process can improve overall well-being by reducing stress and promoting a sense of fulfillment. When you are engaged in enjoyable and stimulating thinking, it can help to reduce negative thoughts and emotions and promote a sense of satisfaction and happiness.

5. Can enjoying the thinking process benefit society as a whole?

Yes, enjoying the thinking process can have a positive impact on society as a whole. When individuals are encouraged to think critically and creatively and are given the opportunity to enjoy the process, it can lead to innovation, progress, and positive change for the betterment of society.