Why is international law not always enforced?

In summary, international law is often seen as more of a guideline than actual rules, as the UN rarely enforces its own laws due to a lack of enforcement power and mechanisms. Additionally, the UN is made up of member states that prioritize their own laws over international laws. Therefore, international law can only be effective when there is international consensus and willingness to use force.
AhmedEzz
Hey guys I was wondering, is the international law mandatory or is it "more of a guidelines than actual rules" ?? What raised this question is that no one respects that law, and if it was actual rules, than why doesn't anyone get punished for it??

Physics news on Phys.org
On paper, membership in the UN means you must follow applicable international laws. As a practical matter, the UN rarely enforces its own laws because in most cases, it doesn't have the power of enforcement except via war, nor a good mechanism for policing.

As effective as a "Stop" sign at a street intersection.

Jordan Joab.

why doesn't anyone get punished for it??

Ask SadMan Insane.

Sometimes international law does work. Not as often as it should, but it's a young idea.
It needs work and support.

Alfi said:
but it's a young idea.

Is it?...

On paper, membership in the UN means you must follow applicable international laws. As a practical matter, the UN rarely enforces its own laws because in most cases, it doesn't have the power of enforcement except via war, nor a good mechanism for policing.

well, I think the least method of punishing would be using the media and announcing clearly the violator and the violator's actions and trying to create an international opinion and pressure on the matter until the violator stops violating the law and pay for the damage.

For example, the US Europe and China are responsible for global warming and climate change, the UN as an international organization should press those countries in every way to force them to reduce CO2 emissions - my info on this subject may not be entirely correct-.

I think its about the money, if the UN takes a little bit of an aggressive stance on these countries, their funding might lessen which will lead to the UN not being able to pay wages. I know the language sounds naive but I'm no expert on this.

hmm, last I checked the factors that contributed the most to increasing the effects of global warming were all due to humans.

AhmedEzz said:
Is it?...

well, I think ... but I'm no expert on this.
sorry- that's funny.

When we get into inter-planetary law, we may see the early 21st century as the beginnings of inter-national law.

drankin said:
Global warming due to humans is a hoax. Didn't you get the memo?

AhmedEzz said:
hmm, last I checked the factors that contributed the most to increasing the effects of global warming were all due to humans.
Neither of you are correct.

Global warming which is now called "climate change" is a natural part of the Earth's ever changing climate, what you are thinking of is the dispute over how much man has contributed to the effects on climate.

China and India are both exempt from controls over C02 emmissions as part of the Kyoto protocal.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Neither of you are correct.

Global warming which is now called "climate change" is a natural part of the Earth's ever changing climate, what you are thinking of is the dispute over how much man has contributed to the effects on climate

I didn't claim humans controlled or started something, but we certainly helped quite alot...

Back to the topic, so what everyone here is saying is that international law is a lovely thing but it only exists in the perfect world we don't live in...How come the UN doesn't do anything to make sure that at least the law is considered let alone enforced?

AhmedEzz said:
Back to the topic, so what everyone here is saying is that international law is a lovely thing but it only exists in the perfect world we don't live in...How come the UN doesn't do anything to make sure that at least the law is considered let alone enforced?

Because the UN is simply the sum of its member states, none of which wants to be subjected to any law but their own, for the most part.

One way to clarify one's thinking about international law is to recall the famous quote from the Law & Order TV show: "man has only those rights he can defend." A corollary applicable to international law would be "the community of nations has only those international laws which it is willing and able to enforce." So, it's not an issue of some supranational body like the UN coming up with laws and then simply needing to do more to enforce them. The whole point is that the only source of international law is international consensus, backed by the willingness to use force. Where this occurs, there is international law. Where this is lacking, there is no international law.

Related to Why is international law not always enforced?

1. What is International Law?

International Law is a set of rules and principles that govern the relationships between countries and other international actors. It is a system that aims to promote peace, cooperation, and stability in the international community.

2. Who creates International Law?

International Law is created through agreements and treaties between countries, as well as through customary practices and decisions made by international courts and organizations. It is also influenced by international organizations, such as the United Nations, which help to establish and enforce international norms and rules.

3. What are the main sources of International Law?

The main sources of International Law include treaties, custom, general principles of law, and decisions of international courts and tribunals. Treaties are agreements between two or more countries and are considered to be the most important source of International Law. Custom refers to established practices and behaviors that are followed by countries and are considered to be legally binding. General principles of law are fundamental legal principles that are recognized by most legal systems. Decisions of international courts and tribunals also contribute to the development of International Law.

4. How is International Law enforced?

International Law is enforced through various mechanisms, including diplomatic pressure, economic sanctions, and the use of force. International courts and tribunals, such as the International Court of Justice, also play a role in enforcing International Law by settling legal disputes between countries.

5. What is the role of the United Nations in International Law?

The United Nations plays a crucial role in the development and enforcement of International Law. It serves as a forum for countries to negotiate and enter into treaties, and also helps to promote and monitor compliance with international norms and rules. The UN also has several bodies, such as the International Court of Justice and the International Law Commission, that work to develop and clarify International Law.