Why is gravity the only force the causes time dilation?

In summary: It makes sense that inertia would be the same for all objects, since that's what gravity is all about. But it makes sense that the other forces would be different, because they don't all have the same acceleration.
soothsayer
We all know that in general relativity, there is the idea that the gravitational force and accelerating reference frames are very closely related. In GR, gravity acts through distortions of the space-time continuum, which causes phenomena such as redshift and time dilation.

My question is this: how come the electromagnetic and nuclear forces aren't thought of along the same lines? What experiment could we do to determine the difference between an accelerating frame and a frame acted on by a uniform electric field? How come the other forces aren't thought of as being caused by some distortion of space and time, yielding things such as electromagnetic time dilation? Does it have to do with gravity's ability to attract all things with energy, regardless of charge, flavor, color, etc.? Lastly, whatever this fundamental difference is that separates gravity from the rest in these regards, how are they handled in current attempts at unified field theories?

Thanks for humoring me!
- Sooth

Physics news on Phys.org
soothsayer said:
My question is this: how come the electromagnetic and nuclear forces aren't thought of along the same lines? What experiment could we do to determine the difference between an accelerating frame and a frame acted on by a uniform electric field?

An electric field does not impart the same acceleration to all objects; for example, it doesn't affect electrically neutral objects at all, so it is trivial to distinguish a uniform electric field from an accelerating frame, since neutral objects will behave differently in the two cases.

In other words, the fundamental difference between gravity and the other forces is that gravity imparts the same acceleration to all objects, because it couples to energy, which is also what determines inertia. That is, the property of objects which determines how strongly they respond to gravity is the same property that determines how strongly they resist being accelerated. That's not true for the other forces.

soothsayer said:
How come the other forces aren't thought of as being caused by some distortion of space and time

Because of the above difference between gravity and the other forces. It's the fact that gravity imparts the same acceleration to all objects that makes the interpretation of gravity as spacetime curvature possible.

Thanks, PeterDonis. I think I was trying to convince myself of what you just said in my original post, but I couldn't think of it quite this concisely. It didn't really seem like a very strong argument until I read this:

PeterDonis said:
That is, the property of objects which determines how strongly they respond to gravity is the same property that determines how strongly they resist being accelerated. That's not true for the other forces.

That was kind of an "aha!" moment.

Related to Why is gravity the only force the causes time dilation?

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time moves slower for an object in motion compared to a stationary object. This is due to the effects of gravity on space-time.

How does gravity cause time dilation?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, gravity is not a force but rather a curvature in space-time. This curvature in space-time is what causes time dilation. The stronger the gravitational pull, the more curved space-time becomes, resulting in a greater amount of time dilation.

Why is gravity the only force that causes time dilation?

Gravity is the only force that causes time dilation because it is the only force that affects the curvature of space-time. Other forces, such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces, do not have an effect on space-time curvature.

What evidence supports the idea that gravity causes time dilation?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the idea that gravity causes time dilation, including the observations of the bending of light near massive objects, the redshift of light coming from objects with strong gravitational fields, and the accurate predictions of time dilation in GPS satellites.

Does time dilation only occur in the presence of strong gravitational fields?

No, time dilation can occur in any situation where there is a difference in the strength of gravity. This means that even small differences in gravity, such as between objects on the surface of the Earth and those in orbit, can result in noticeable time dilation effects.