Why Is Calculating Card Probabilities Confusing?

In summary, the probability of drawing a card divisible by 4 from a deck of 52 cards is 3/13. However, for the second problem, the probability of drawing a card divisible by 10 or 11 is actually 5/52+5/52=2/13.
lorik

Homework Statement

From 52 cards we draw one .Whats the probability that the drawn card is divisible by 4

Now : in my notebook its 12/52=3/13 .But shouldn't it be 13/52 ? BECAUSE clearly if we multiply 13 *4=52

Same problem : Whats the probability that of 52 cards I draw one that is divisible
with 10 or 11 .In notebook its like this P(a)+p(b)= 4/52+4/52=8/52=4/26=2/13

BUT shouldn't this as well be 5/52+5/52

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

PLEASE just tell the correct answer every time I post here somebody argues about pointless stuff and leaves me hanging with no clue !??

Sorry second problem fixed so 4/52+5/52 is correct ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lorik said:

Homework Statement

From 52 cards we draw one .Whats the probability that the drawn card is divisible by 4

Now : in my notebook its 12/52=3/13 .But shouldn't it be 13/52 ? BECAUSE clearly if we multiply 13 *4=52

Same problem : Whats the probability that of 52 cards I draw one that is divisible
with 10 or 11 .In notebook its like this P(a)+p(b)= 4/52+5/52=8/52=4/26=2/13

BUT shouldn't this as well be 5/52+5/52

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

PLEASE just tell the correct answer every time I post here somebody argues about pointless stuff and leaves me hanging with no clue !??

On the first one, your book is correct that there are 12 cards in the deck that have a value that is divisible by 4. What cards of each suit have a value that is divisible by 4?

Related to Why Is Calculating Card Probabilities Confusing?

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual observations or experiments and can vary from the theoretical probability.

What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events whose outcomes do not affect each other. Dependent events are events whose outcomes are influenced by previous events.

How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in various fields, such as finance, medicine, and sports, to make predictions and informed decisions. It can also be used to assess risk and determine the likelihood of certain outcomes. For example, insurance companies use probability to calculate premiums and determine coverage.