Why inductor voltage blows up for a current change?

In summary, when there is a change in current flowing through an inductor, the voltage across it will also change. This is because an inductor opposes changes in current by generating a voltage in the opposite direction. If the current changes too quickly, the voltage across the inductor can become very high, potentially leading to a voltage "blow-up". This is due to the inductor's property of storing energy in its magnetic field, and when the current changes rapidly, the energy in the magnetic field cannot be dissipated quickly enough, causing the voltage to increase significantly. This phenomenon can be prevented by using proper circuit design techniques, such as adding a diode or a snubber circuit to limit the voltage across the inductor.
Abhishek Dwivedi
Dear All,
This is my first question to the forum.
"Assume there is a + dc voltage across a inductor. So current will continue to increase. Now if the current through the inductor is forced to stop using some means ( eg. Current was flowing in inductor through a ON switch and then switch turns off in no time.) . I know the mathematical reason but I want to understand the physical intuitive reason about why the voltage across the inductor blows up.

Thanks
Abhishek

Physics news on Phys.org