Why hyperbolic geometry in spacetime if it is flat?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between coordinate systems and curvature in a two-dimensional spacetime. It is explained that in a flat spacetime, there is a choice of coordinate systems, but in a curved spacetime, the coordinate system is determined by the curvature. The discussion also touches on the concept of hyperbolic motion and how it can be described by geodesic hyperplanes. Finally, the question of why a flat spacetime can exhibit hyperbolic geometry is explored.
closet mathemetician
This is driving me crazy. Consider a two-dimensional spacetime, with coordinates (t,x). If this is a flat spacetime, we can just imagine a regular-old two-dimensional plane. On that plane I could just as easily map a Cartesian/Euclidean coordinate system as a hyperbolic system of coordinates. The coordinate system is a choice.

Now, suppose I have a flat rubber sheet. I map a Euclidean coordinate chart to the sheet. Now I bend the sheet so that it has constant negative curvature. Now, I'm "forced" into a hyperbolic coordinate system because of the geometric shape of the space. The Euclidean coordinates I drew onto the sheet have become warped. I now don't have a choice of coordinate systems.

If spacetime is really flat, why are we forced into a hyperbolic geometry?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "hyperbolic coordinate system"? The curvature is determined by the metric, the coordinate system itself doesn't tell you anything about the curvature. It is true that in a flat spacetime, if you pick different coordinate systems and then use the metric to figure out the http://www.bun.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~suchii/embed.diag.html for some info.

Last edited by a moderator:
JesseM said:
What do you mean by "hyperbolic coordinate system"? The curvature is determined by the metric, the coordinate system itself doesn't tell you anything about the curvature.

That makes sense, ok a metric that gives a hyperbolic motion?

closet mathemetician said:
That makes sense, ok a metric that gives a hyperbolic motion?
What do you mean by hyperbolic motion? And do you not like my idea of rephrasing the question in terms of the geometry of space (not spacetime) at a particular instant in time according to the time coordinate?

If spacetime is really flat, why are we forced into a hyperbolic geometry?
I think you are thinking that the Minkowski metric has the same form as a hyperbola:
ds²=-c²dt²+dx²+dy²+dz²

That does not imply a curved hyperbolic geometry any more than the Euclidean metric (ds²=dx²+dy²+dz²) implies curved spherical geometry.

JesseM said:
What do you mean by hyperbolic motion? And do you not like my idea of rephrasing the question in terms of the geometry of space (not spacetime) at a particular instant in time according to the time coordinate?

I mean motion that would follow the geodesic hyperplanes of a hyperbola. And no, its not that I didn't like your rephrasing, I was just trying to express the idea of a hyperbolic curvature associated with a geometry other than just by coordinates, i.e., the metric, in agreement with what you said. I apologize if my use of terms was not rigorous or mathematically precise. I'm just a noob who's interested in physics.

DaleSpam said:
I think you are thinking that the Minkowski metric has the same form as a hyperbola:
ds²=-c²dt²+dx²+dy²+dz²

That does not imply a curved hyperbolic geometry any more than the Euclidean metric (ds²=dx²+dy²+dz²) implies curved spherical geometry.

That's a good point DaleSpam. I'll ponder that some more.

I mean motion that would follow the geodesic hyperplanes of a hyperbola.
But isn't that a coordinate-dependent notion? A given geodesic may have the equation of a hyperbola in one coordinate system and the equation of a straight line in a different coordinate system.
closet mathematician said:
And no, its not that I didn't like your rephrasing, I was just trying to express the idea of a hyperbolic curvature associated with a geometry other than just by coordinates, i.e., the metric, in agreement with what you said.
Well, the spatial curvature of a given 3D spacelike slice of 4D spacetime is determined by the metric (which determines the length of any spacelike curve that lies within that slice), it's just that the choice of how to slice 4D spacetime into a stack of 3D slices depends on how simultaneity is defined in your coordinate system.
closet mathematician said:
I apologize if my use of terms was not rigorous or mathematically precise. I'm just a noob who's interested in physics.
No need to apologize! I'm just trying to pin down what your question means a little better...can you explain what you read or were thinking about that made you link hyperbolic geometry with flat spacetime? Was it about cosmology and how the universe is supposed to be hyperbolic if the mass density is below a certain critical value (which implies space is hyperbolic if the mass density is zero, which should just be flat SR spacetime), or about the thing DaleSpam pointed out with the metric resembling the equation for a hyperbola, or something else?

Last edited:

Related to Why hyperbolic geometry in spacetime if it is flat?

1. Why do we need hyperbolic geometry in spacetime if it is considered flat?

Hyperbolic geometry is used in the study of spacetime because it provides a more accurate representation of the geometry of the universe. While spacetime is technically considered flat, there are still small deviations and distortions that can be better understood using hyperbolic geometry.

2. How does hyperbolic geometry relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that gravity is a result of the curvature of spacetime. Hyperbolic geometry allows us to accurately describe this curvature and understand the effects of gravity on the shape of spacetime.

3. Can hyperbolic geometry be observed in everyday life?

While hyperbolic geometry is used to describe the universe at a large scale, its effects can also be observed on a smaller scale. For example, the shape of a saddle or the growth patterns of some plant leaves follow hyperbolic geometry.

4. How does hyperbolic geometry affect our understanding of the universe?

Hyperbolic geometry has greatly expanded our understanding of the universe and has allowed us to make more accurate predictions about its behavior. It has also played a crucial role in the development of theories such as general relativity and cosmology.

5. Is hyperbolic geometry the only way to understand the geometry of the universe?

No, hyperbolic geometry is just one of several different geometries that can be used to describe the universe. Other examples include Euclidean geometry and elliptic geometry. Each of these geometries has its own unique properties and applications.