Why/how does filter paper block/trap coffee oils?

In summary, paper filters block cafestol and kahweol, which are both functionalized polycyclic molecules. These molecules have a molar mass around 315, which makes them too large to pass through a cloth filter. However, oil and water are two liquids that are immiscible, so they will not mix together. This prevents the cafestol and kahweol from getting into the brewed coffee.
BillTre said:
You could always use no filter medium and completely remove that issue.
  1. Brew your coffee with the grounds suspended in a container of heated water for some period of time.
  2. Let the grounds settle out (or centrifuge them if you are in a hurry.
  3. Pour off the supernatant (the coffee), leaving the grounds behind in the original container.
  4. Enjoy.
This is how coffee is brewed in very traditional cultures in Africa. I think even Turkish coffee is brewed this way. However this is probably a bit limited as far as separating enough oil from the finished product.

Likes BillTre
Chemistry news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
  1. Brew your coffee with the grounds suspended in a container of heated water for some period of time.
  3. Pour off the supernatant (the coffee), leaving the grounds behind in the original container.
  4. Enjoy.
However the idea of the centrifuge is brilliant, I must say.

Likes BillTre
moriah said:
However the idea of the centrifuge is brilliant, I must say.
A bucket on a rope twirled over your head is a centrifuge.

BillTre said:
A bucket on a rope twirled over your head is a centrifuge.
Your putting images in my head. Yeah but on that note, putting the brewed coffee in a jar and shaking it for a few minutes would probably have close to the same effect.

moriah said:
Your putting images in my head. Yeah but on that note, putting the brewed coffee in a jar and shaking it for a few minutes would probably have close to the same effect.
Centrifugal separation works, but for emulsions the required acceleration may be a bit higher than what can be provided by simple manual means...

Since it's already flirting with sci-fi, then maybe some ultrasonic magic?

Likes BillTre
Rive said:
Centrifugal separation works, but for emulsions the required acceleration may be a bit higher than what can be provided by simple manual means...

Since it's already flirting with sci-fi, then maybe some ultrasonic magic?
I agree with the bit about emulsion. I would try shaking the liquid and then filtering whatever is separated on top.

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
  4. Enjoy.
Description of process would be like "French Press" brewed coffee.
( I do not drink coffee done that way; I use filter-drip through paper. )

Likes sysprog and BillTre
Maybe the answer or explanation to my original question is really too complicated. I could then just accept the fact (or my common experience) that brew time of African coffees using hot-water paper drip-filter takes much longer than brewing coffees of most other origins.

symbolipoint said:
Description of process would be like "French Press" brewed coffee.
( I do not drink coffee done that way; I use filter-drip through paper. )

This (https://www.bodum.com/us/en/1928-57-chambord) is among my favorite coffee brewing
devices:

1641249526853.png

Due to posts #44 and #45, I should try using or test using a french-press device. I tried once a couple years ago but did not like the method nor results so continued with filter-drip.

Likes sysprog