Why explain with both vectors and functions

In summary, when explaining quantum mechanics, the use of <bra|ket> complex vectors and functions (psi) can be confusing as the explanation switches back and forth between them. However, this is necessary to introduce the more robust and generalized bra-ket notation and to demonstrate key features of quantum mechanics. This approach also prepares students for later generalizations in their studies.
mraptor
Why when explaining/introducing QM things get explained with the <bra|ket> complex vectors... then somewhere in between they start using functions (psi)..
It gets confusing when epxlanation start switching between them back and forth...

My understanding is they are the same thing...
Is there some purpose of this exercise...
Similar thing with the Operators... when the explanation goes around the the braket vectors.. they use matrices... then the moment find operators to be differential operators we switch to functions.

I understand it is logical to do this, but why we don't they stick with one of the mathematical abstraction and go with it the whole time..

sorry if it is a stupid question.. I'm neither mathematician nor physicist.
May be that is why they are confusing to me ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
mraptor said:
I'm neither mathematician nor physicist.
Perhaps you should say what level of maths you do understand, else it's hard to know at what level to pitch an answer. I could say that functions in a Hilbert space are vectors in that space, but I suspect this wouldn't be very enlightening...

mraptor said:
Why when explaining/introducing QM things get explained with the <bra|ket> complex vectors... then somewhere in between they start using functions (psi)..
It gets confusing when epxlanation start switching between them back and forth...

My understanding is they are the same thing...
Is there some purpose of this exercise...
Similar thing with the Operators... when the explanation goes around the the braket vectors.. they use matrices... then the moment find operators to be differential operators we switch to functions.

I understand it is logical to do this, but why we don't they stick with one of the mathematical abstraction and go with it the whole time..

sorry if it is a stupid question.. I'm neither mathematician nor physicist.
May be that is why they are confusing to me ;)

Because a first introduction to quantum mechanics has been somewhat formalized as the introduction to a few specific systems: The particle in the box, the harmonic potential and propagation through a potential barrier (followed by the hydrogen atom in a later course). These are sort of three examples that are considered the "take-away" from a first course in QM. That puts teaching in a place where they want to introduce the more robust and generalized bra-ket notation which you'll need for continued learning in quantum and the fact that these problems specifically are best worked out with integrals and calculus. They want to show you a few classic pictures to give you a sense of the key features of quantum while prepping you for later generalizations.

I see, thank you

Related to Why explain with both vectors and functions

1. Why do we need to use both vectors and functions to explain something?

Using both vectors and functions allows us to describe the behavior of a system in multiple dimensions. Vectors represent the magnitude and direction of a quantity, while functions can describe how that quantity changes over time. Using both can provide a more complete understanding of the system.

2. Can't we just use one or the other?

While it is possible to use only vectors or only functions to explain a system, doing so may not give us a complete understanding. Vectors are useful for describing motion and forces, while functions can describe more complex behaviors such as oscillation or exponential growth.

3. How do vectors and functions work together?

Vectors can be used to describe the inputs or parameters of a function, while the function itself can output a vector. This allows us to model how a system changes over time due to various inputs or forces acting on it.

4. Are there any advantages to using both vectors and functions in scientific explanations?

Yes, using both vectors and functions can offer several advantages. It allows for a more comprehensive understanding of a system, and can also provide a more accurate representation of real-world phenomena. Additionally, using both can help us make predictions and solve problems more efficiently.

5. Are there any real-world examples where both vectors and functions are used to explain something?

Yes, many real-world systems can be explained using both vectors and functions. For example, the motion of objects in physics can be described using vectors for position and velocity, while functions such as force or acceleration can describe how the system changes over time. In biology, vectors can represent genetic information, while functions can model the growth and development of organisms.