Why Earth is Bulged at the Equator

In summary, the reason Earth is bulged at the equator is because the particles there require more centripetal force to keep them in line, which is provided by the gravitational force.
Himal kharel
Why is Earth bulged at equator ?
Please don't explain in terms of centrifugal force

Physics news on Phys.org
How about Newton's First Law? Objects in motion tend to keep moving in a straight line, so the part of the Earth that is at the equator has a tendency to keep moving straight, rather than in a circle, causing an outward bulge.

That explanation has been forbidden by the OP. I don't know, how to answer the question, when I'm forbidden to answer the way it is. So I don't answer at all!:devil:

The explanation given above does not mention centrifugal force -- it correctly describes the effect in terms of inertia!

Himal kharel said:
Why is Earth bulged at equator ?
Please don't explain in terms of centrifugal force

I'm confused here. A is the cause of B, and you want us to explain B without referring to A...ummm...so you want us to make up an explanation? Something involving supernatural beings?

olivermsun said:
The explanation given above does not mention centrifugal force -- it correctly describes the effect in terms of inertia!

That's the same thing; he merely avoided the term that the OP didn't want to hear. :wink:
However, perhaps the OP simply doesn't want to hear about fictive centrifugal force. In that case all replies are conform. :smile:

vanhees71 said:
That explanation has been forbidden by the OP. I don't know, how to answer the question, when I'm forbidden to answer the way it is. So I don't answer at all!:devil:

as the distance from axis to the equator is more, The particles require more centripetal force which is to be provided by gravitational force . more gravitational force means
more particles must accumulate at equator.

I THINK THIS IS THE REASON.

Himal kharel said:
as the distance from axis to the equator is more, The particles require more centripetal force which is to be provided by gravitational force . more gravitational force means
more particles must accumulate at equator.

I THINK THIS IS THE REASON.
I'm afraid it isn't. The gravitational force is actually less at the equator than it is at the poles, and the gravitational force does not act in the direction of the equator.

Also, gravity is not the only force acting on the particles. Have you tried drawing a force diagram?

Why don't you want an explanation in terms of Centrifugal force?

Why a nuclear plant produces energy ?
Please don't explain it in terms of E=mc2
?

Related to Why Earth is Bulged at the Equator

1. Why is the Earth bulged at the equator?

The Earth is bulged at the equator because of its rotation. As the Earth spins on its axis, the centrifugal force causes the equator to bulge outward, making it slightly wider than the poles.

2. How much is the bulge at the equator?

The Earth's equatorial diameter is approximately 43 kilometers (27 miles) wider than its polar diameter. This means that the bulge at the equator is about 21.5 kilometers (13.4 miles).

3. Does the bulge affect the Earth's shape?

Yes, the bulge at the equator slightly changes the Earth's shape from a perfect sphere to an oblate spheroid. This means that the Earth is slightly flattened at the poles and bulged at the equator.

4. How does the Earth's bulge affect gravity?

The Earth's bulge at the equator does not significantly affect gravity. Gravity is still strongest at the poles and decreases slightly as you move towards the equator.

5. Are other planets also bulged at the equator?

Yes, other planets with a significant rotation also have a bulge at their equators. Some examples include Jupiter, Saturn, and Neptune. However, the extent of the bulge varies depending on the planet's mass and rotation speed.