Why don't they sell the interesting flavors in the US?

In summary: Fisherman's Friend!In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of diversity in products in the US, and how this may be based on regional preferences or marketing decisions. Europeans seem to have a broader range of product options, and this may be due to a long history of importing novel items from other parts of the world.
RPinPA
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This meditation is prompted by the cold I'm currently suffering. One of the products I like is a very intensely-flavored cough drop called "Fisherman's Friend". I found a mostly-full package in the house and commented to my wife that it was Mint flavor. "We must have picked that up in Germany" she said, and on inspecting the package I confirmed she was right. It was in Germany that we'd seen this product come in a huge variety of different flavors.

I've been enjoying my mint Fisherman's Friends, so today I decide to do some investigating to see if I could order more off the internet, or find other flavors. What I found confirmed my suspicions. If you go to the UK page you can find 10 different flavors (or flavours). France for some reason has fewer, only 6. Germany, true to our recollection, is the champion with 19. But alas, in the US you can only find four: Original and three boring sugar-free flavors.

It's not just cough drops, I've noticed many times on travel that there are flavors (of drinks especially) that you never see in the US. Are our tastes really so different?

Actually I find it's not just the US I'm surprised at. I'm surprised at the range of offerings of Fisherman's Friend just across the EU, the difference in France, Germany and the UK. I really thought, naively I suppose, that marketing would be less regional in the modern world.

Still, couldn't the marketers see fit to try some of the European products on us poor provincials?

Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
RPinPA said:
us poor provincials?
..., who are subject to FDA regulation, and "marketing" is not willing to spend the extra money to get the extra clearances?

That is interesting.
I like those FF cough drops too, but never heard of the other flavors.
Do they work as well?

Why not in the US?
In many ways there seems to be less diversity of products in the US.

An example I am familiar with is in tropical fish selection.
I used to buy imported fish so I could breed them and resell them to labs interested in researching them.
In comparison with the imported fish in the US, EU fish imports are much more diverse and interesting.
This may be based on a long history of people bringing back novel fish from other parts of the world to Europe.

There also seems to be a smaller market for unusual fish in the US.
I some fish from India from one of the two regular unusual fish importers in the US. Since they are relatively large (3-4 inches) I figure that with a couple pair of breeding fish (they lay 2,000-4,000 eggs at a time) I could supply the entire US demand for them if I want to. They are not that wanted, although they are fine fish.

I don't think that the FDA is involved. The products I know can be bought in every supermarket and is not a registered cough drug. It's just a mint sweet, placed next to Wrigley gums. They advertise it with "Are they too tough, are you too weak".

I found out that even identical products aren't identical. I had a hot Heinz ketchup bought in Spain and back home, the same product has been less spicy. On tv they showed a food company (forgotten the product, chips or so) which admitted to have different recipes depending on the market. I could imagine that even within the US recipes might differ between Wisconsin and Nevada.

Likes BillTre
Whenever I travel, I shop for unusual / unavailable foods, sauces, and spices. I love wandering through the shops and stores, seeing all the items I don't see at home.

It is kind of disappointing that you can't find what you want online.

Even in Canada you can find US manufactured products with flavors not available in the US.

There's a lot that can't be found in the US. Many's the time I've come home from a hard day's work wishing I could have a tall cool glass of Pocari Sweat.

1576025727103.png

And don't get me started on Irn Bru. ("Made in Scotland from girders!")

Last edited:
Likes gmax137 and jim mcnamara
Coca-cola in Israel(1978) had added lemon flavor and was VERY sweet because it is meant to be poured over ice and diluted. With the influx of Americans since then that may have changed.

gmax137 said:
Want to try this: https://www.awafs.de/
gmax137 said:
I love wandering through the shops and stores, seeing all the items I don't see at home.
Oh yes, me, too. It was so exciting to see what is offered in supermarkets abroad. Not fundamentally different, but different enough to be new. However, the fun in Europe has gone. You find the same major brands throughout any supermarket in the EU. And even on a street market in the deep Caucasus I found German washing powder, Nutella and so on ...

Not long and everything is only Unilever, Kraft and Nestlé.

I live in Canada and have encountered both of the following:

(1) Products or flavours available in the US but not in Canada

(2) Products or flavours available in Canada but not in the US

I personally would have thought that given the larger consumer population in the US would mean that situation #1 above would be more common (substituting Canada with any other country in the world), so I find it curious that this isn't necessarily the case.

StatGuy2000 said:
I personally would have thought that given the larger consumer population in the US would mean that situation #1 above would be more common (substituting Canada with any other country in the world), so I find it curious that this isn't necessarily the case.
As I understood it, it's the tastes which are different, not the markets. It made kind of sense to me as I heard of this position from a food designer. People in cold areas eat probably different than those in very warm regions. This might not be the case on single examples, like me who hoped to find a Ketchup which actually deserved the label hot, although I do not live in an especially warm climate. However, it's the average which counts. I think I have observed that this average taste changes over time, but that takes decades.

gmax137 said:
Whenever I travel, I shop for unusual / unavailable foods, sauces, and spices. I love wandering through the shops and stores, seeing all the items I don't see at home.

Amazon might be worth checking, since the site/company lists some products that are very difficult or impossible to find in some persons' region.

1. Why are interesting flavors not sold in the US?

The decision to sell certain flavors in a particular country is determined by various factors such as market demand, availability of ingredients, and cultural preferences. There may also be regulations and restrictions in place that limit the sale of certain flavors in certain countries.

2. Are these flavors not safe for consumption?

No, the flavors that are not sold in the US are not necessarily unsafe for consumption. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has strict regulations in place to ensure the safety of food products sold in the country. However, certain ingredients or flavor combinations may not meet the FDA's standards, leading to their exclusion from the market.

3. Can I import these flavors from other countries?

It is possible to import these flavors from other countries, but it is important to check the regulations and requirements of the FDA before doing so. Some ingredients may be restricted or banned in the US, and importing them without proper approval can lead to legal consequences.

4. Will these flavors ever be available in the US market?

There is always a possibility that these flavors may become available in the US market in the future. As consumer preferences and trends change, companies may introduce new and interesting flavors to cater to the demand. However, this is ultimately dependent on various factors such as market research, production costs, and regulatory approvals.

5. Can I create my own version of these flavors at home?

It is possible to create your own version of these flavors at home, but it may not be an exact replica of the original. Food manufacturers use specific techniques and ingredients to achieve a certain flavor profile, which may be difficult to replicate at home. Additionally, some ingredients used in these flavors may not be readily available for home use.