Why doesn't the limit exist for this function at (0,0)?

• Thread starter NanoMath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: The function ##\text{sin} \left(\frac{1}{y^2} \right)## oscillates around ##0## and does not have a limit as ##y## approaches ##0##.
NanoMath

Homework Statement

Limit problem.png

I have to show that the following function does not have a limit as (x,y) approaches (0,0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried taking different paths for example y=x or y=0 and switching to polar coordinates, but I don't get anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider approaching the origin along the line [itex]x = 0[/itex].

Right so the first term cancels and I am left with: y sin ( 1/ y2 ) + sin ( 1 / y2 ) .
So what do I conclude by taking the limit of this?
y sin ( 1/ y2 ) vanishes since y goes to 0. I am a bit confused on what to do with sin ( 1/y2).
Can I claim that limit doesn't exist because sin ( 1/ y2 ) alternates as y goes to zero and therefore doesn't have unique answer ?

NanoMath said:
Right so the first term cancels and I am left with: y sin ( 1/ y2 ) + sin ( 1 / y2 ) .
So what do I conclude by taking the limit of this?
y sin ( 1/ y2 ) vanishes since y goes to 0. I am a bit confused on what to do with sin ( 1/y2).
Can I claim that limit doesn't exist because sin ( 1/ y2 ) alternates as y goes to zero and therefore doesn't have unique answer ?

How would you justify that rigorously?

You can explain the dense oscillations near the origin by recalling ##\text{sin}(y) = 0## for ##y = n \pi, n \in \mathbb{Z}##.

So ##\text{sin} \left( \frac{1}{y} \right) = 0## for ##y = \frac{1}{n \pi}, n \in \mathbb{Z}, n \neq 0##.

Therefore we can say ##\text{sin} \left(\frac{1}{y^2} \right) = 0## for ##y = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n \pi}}, n \in \mathbb{Z}, n \neq 0##.

There is a dense population of these points near zero; think about the interval ##(0, \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}]##.

As for showing it formally, you're going to have to squeeze some effort out, and you might need a sandwich to have enough energy.

Would it be okay to take sequence an = √2/√nπ . Then this sequence obviously converges to zero as n goes to infinity. But f(an) alternates between 1,0,-1,0,...

Last edited:
NanoMath said:
Would it be okay to take sequence an = √2/√nπ . Then this sequence obviously converges to zero as n goes to infinity. But f(an) alternates between 1,0,-1,0,...

There is infinitely many points approaching zero:

$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{3\pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{5 \pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{6 \pi}}, ...$$

Group these into triplets:

$$\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{3\pi}} \right), \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{5 \pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{6 \pi}} \right), ...$$

Notice for each triplet of points inside ##(0, \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}]##, the function ##\text{sin} \left(\frac{1}{y^2} \right)## will oscillate from ##0## to ##-1##, then to ##0##, then to ##+1## and then back to ##0##.

The triplets need not be ordered as I've shown. You can group different triplets and the function will oscillate in the same fashion, but potentially in a different order. For example, using:

$$\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{3\pi}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}} \right)$$

Will produce a different sequence for the oscillation (0,1,0,-1,0), but the behavior will be the same for each triplet. Namely, ##\left| \text{sin} \left(\frac{1}{y^2} \right) \right| \leq 1##.

Simply speaking, we choose epsilon=0.9, we cannot get a corresponding delta to satisfy the epsilon-delta definition of limit.

Likes SammyS

Related to Why doesn't the limit exist for this function at (0,0)?

1. What does it mean to "prove a limit doesn't exist"?

Proving a limit doesn't exist means showing that the limit of a function or sequence does not approach a specific value, either because it approaches infinity or oscillates between different values.

2. How do you prove a limit doesn't exist?

To prove a limit doesn't exist, you can use various methods such as the epsilon-delta definition, the squeeze theorem, or the divergence test. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the function or sequence as it approaches a specific value.

3. Why is it important to prove a limit doesn't exist?

Proving a limit doesn't exist is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function or sequence at a specific point. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and conclusions about the function's overall behavior.

4. Can a limit exist for some values but not for others?

Yes, it is possible for a limit to exist for some values but not for others. This is known as a removable discontinuity, where the function is undefined at a certain point but can be made continuous by redefining the function at that point.

5. Are there any common mistakes when proving a limit doesn't exist?

Some common mistakes when proving a limit doesn't exist include using the wrong method, not considering all possible values, or making incorrect assumptions about the function. It's important to carefully analyze the behavior of the function and use the appropriate method to avoid these mistakes.