Why does the solution for t in the equation Vf=Vi+at result in a negative sign?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the equation Vf=Vi+at, where the goal is to solve for t. The conversation then references a solution from a website, which simplifies to t=-Vf/a. The speaker is confused about where the negative sign came from, but it is likely a typo. They mention that sometimes in gravity problems, positive velocity represents upward motion and negative velocity represents downward motion, but in this case, the negative sign is not applicable.
vysero
Ok so here is my problem:

Vf=Vi+at

I want to solve for t so:

(Vf-Vi)/a = t

right so now my problem starts how can this happen:

t = -Vf/a ?

The solution above comes from this site http://www.monmsci.net/~fasano/phys1/Chapter_2_10.pdf

scroll down to problem 2.31 and you will find what I am looking at, in this situation Vi = 0 so they disregarded it and somehow during that process (at least i believe it was during that process) they came up with:

t = -Vf/a

Please explain to me how that works, where the heck did the - sign come from??

Physics news on Phys.org
looks like a typo to me. sometimes in gravity problems +v means its going up vs -v means its falling but that's not the case. notice in the actual answer the - is gone.

Oh well I didn't even see that lol well thank you it prob. was just a typo

Related to Why does the solution for t in the equation Vf=Vi+at result in a negative sign?

1. Why is basic algebra important in science?

Basic algebra is important in science because it helps us understand and solve complex mathematical equations and problems. Many scientific theories and concepts involve mathematical equations, and being proficient in algebra allows scientists to accurately analyze data and make predictions.

2. What are the common mistakes made in basic algebra?

Some common mistakes in basic algebra include not following the correct order of operations, misinterpreting negative signs, and making errors in multiplication and division. It is important to practice regularly and carefully check your work to avoid these mistakes.

3. How can I improve my skills in basic algebra?

To improve your skills in basic algebra, it is important to practice regularly and seek help or tutoring if needed. There are also many online resources and educational materials available to help strengthen your understanding of algebra concepts.

4. What are some real-world applications of basic algebra in science?

Basic algebra is used in a variety of real-world scientific applications, such as calculating chemical reactions, analyzing data in experiments, and predicting the growth of populations. It is also used in engineering, physics, and other fields to solve complex problems and make accurate predictions.

5. How does basic algebra relate to other branches of mathematics?

Basic algebra is the foundation for many other branches of mathematics, such as geometry, calculus, and statistics. It provides the necessary skills and understanding to tackle more advanced mathematical concepts and solve complex problems in various fields of science.