Why does the equation of the level surface not have ln?

That's because $\lim_{c \to -\infty} e^c=0$, right?So, in summary, the equation of the level surface of the function g(x,y,z)=ln(x^2−y+z^2) through the point (−1,2,1) is x^2−y+z^2=0.
bbelson01
Could someone please help me with the following question:

Consider the function g(x,y,z)=ln(x^2−y+z^2). Find an equation of the level surface of the function through the point (−1,2,1) which does not have ln. First find g(−1,2,1).

When I sub in the points I get:
g(−1,2,1)=ln(1−2+1)=ln(0)=undefined.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks, bbelson01

Physics news on Phys.org
bbelson01 said:
Could someone please help me with the following question:

Consider the function g(x,y,z)=ln(x^2−y+z^2). Find an equation of the level surface of the function through the point (−1,2,1) which does not have ln. First find g(−1,2,1).

When I sub in the points I get:
g(−1,2,1)=ln(1−2+1)=ln(0)=undefined.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks, bbelson01

Hi bbelson01! Welcome to MHB! :)

I don't thank that you've gone wrong.
You've found the level, which is "undefined".
To get other points, you need that:
$$x^2−y+z^2 = 0$$
Hey! That is an equation that does not have $\ln$.
That piece of information actually seems to be a hint.

Thanks for replying Selena.

Could you please step me through how you go from ln(x^2−y+z^2) to x^2−y+z^2=0? How can you just eliminate ln?

Thanks,
bbelson01

bbelson01 said:
Thanks for replying Selena.

Could you please step me through how you go from ln(x^2−y+z^2) to x^2−y+z^2=0? How can you just eliminate ln?

Thanks,
bbelson01

Let's take a look at our surface. It's:
$$g(x,y,z)=c \quad\Rightarrow\quad \ln(x^2−y+z^2)=c \quad\Rightarrow\quad x^2−y+z^2=e^c$$

To get to the surface that contains $(−1,2,1)$ we need to let $c$ approach $-\infty$.
We reach that surface in the limit for $c \to -\infty$.
If we do, we're left with:
$$x^2−y+z^2=0$$

Related to Why does the equation of the level surface not have ln?

What is the equation of a level surface?

The equation of a level surface is a mathematical expression that describes a surface where all points have the same value for a given variable. It is typically written in the form of f(x,y,z) = c, where c is a constant and f(x,y,z) is a function of the variables x, y, and z.

What is the significance of the equation of a level surface?

The equation of a level surface is significant because it allows us to visualize and analyze complex mathematical relationships in three-dimensional space. It also helps us to understand the behavior and properties of functions and their graphs.

How is the equation of a level surface related to contours?

The equation of a level surface is closely related to contours, which are curves on a surface where all points have the same value. In fact, the equation of a level surface can be thought of as a three-dimensional version of a contour line.

What factors can influence the shape of a level surface?

The shape of a level surface is influenced by the variables and coefficients in the equation, as well as any constraints or restrictions on the variables. For example, the presence of a squared term may result in a paraboloid shape, while a cosine function may create a wavy or undulating surface.

How can the equation of a level surface be used in real-world applications?

The equation of a level surface has many practical applications, including in fields such as engineering, physics, and geography. For example, it can be used to model and analyze terrain, map ocean currents, and design structures that can withstand specific levels of pressure or stress.