Why does Rh incompatibility need previous sensibilization but ABO doesn't?

• Thread starter jaumzaum
  • Start date
In summary, a Rh negative mother needs previous Rh sensitization in order to develop anti-Rh antibodies, while an O+ or O- mother may already have anti-A/anti-B antibodies. Rh incompatibility is usually more dangerous than ABO incompatibility, as it can lead to severe complications such as blindness and brain damage. In rare cases, it can also result in liver failure.
jaumzaum
I was wondering why a Rh negative mom needs previous Rh sensibilization (either by previous transfusion or previous children Rh positive) to develop anti-Rh antibodies, but a O+ or O- mom is already expected to have anti-A/anti-B antibodies, even when she is having the first child?

Also, why is Rh incompatibility usually more dangerous than ABO?

Biology news on Phys.org
jaumzaum said:
I was wondering why a Rh negative mom needs previous Rh sensitization (either by previous transfusion or previous children Rh positive) to develop anti-Rh antibodies,
The Rh negative means the mother does not have the Rh factor, which is then a foreign protein to which the mother's body reacts. I am Rh+, my mom was Rh- (my dad is Rh+), and that started an ongoing issue for my siblings. I believe my brother had one transfusion, my sister two and my youngest brother 4 transfusions.

I don't believe it is correct for a mother O- or O+ to be expected to have anti-A or anti-B, but certainly if a baby is AO or BO, or AB, then the mother might develop anti-bodies. A and B proteins would be foreign to an OO mother, so her body might have an issue with AO or BO baby.

jaumzaum said:
Also, why is Rh incompatibility usually more dangerous than ABO?
Is that correct? Both can be serious.

Astronuc said:
I don't believe it is correct for a mother O- or O+ to be expected to have anti-A or anti-B, but certainly if a baby is AO or BO, or AB, then the mother might develop anti-bodies. A and B proteins would be foreign to an OO mother, so her body might have an issue with AO or BO baby.

The firstborn A+ of a mother O- can have ABO incompatibility, but it is not expected to have Rh incompatibility as she was not sensibilized before.

From Wikipedia: "In contrast to Rh disease, about half of the cases of ABO Hemolytic Disease occur in a firstborn baby and it does not become more severe after further pregnancies"

Astronuc said:
Is that correct? Both can be serious.
From what I read, yes.
1669256584787.png

Attachments

• 1669256518149.png
    1669256518149.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 1669256536549.png
    1669256536549.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 81
I'm not a medical expert, but I had an acquaintance that died several year ago from an Rh reaction. Not pretty to see.

As I recall from looking into the problem:
1) The first infusion of blood with the wrong Rh factor causes the body to start creating antibodies. This is generally not a big problem
2) After this first exposure, the body continues to generate antibodies, enough for a substantial concentration in the blood.
3) A second exposure causes an immediate and massive response to the 'foreign' intruder from all those circulating antibodies.
4) The 'foreign' intruder is quickly broken down.
5) The breakdown products are quite toxic, especially to the liver.
6) The end result is the liver is destroyed. Being essential, the loss of which is lethal.

I'm sure other more knowledgable people here can correct/fill-in details.

Tom.G said:
[...]
5) The breakdown products are quite toxic, especially to the liver.
6) The end result is the liver is destroyed. Being essential, the loss of which is lethal.
[...]
Up to there it's OK. But Bilirubin isn't hepatotoxic, it's neurotoxic. Death is a rather rare final effect of Rh-incompatibility reaction - blindness and brain damage, however are quite probable...
...unless there's good neonate care available (ICU and/or dialysis - the latter with knowledge about the neonate specifities of electrolyte balance...)

• Informative
Likes berkeman, jim mcnamara and Tom.G

Related to Why does Rh incompatibility need previous sensibilization but ABO doesn't?

1. Why is Rh incompatibility more serious than ABO incompatibility?

Rh incompatibility occurs when a pregnant woman's blood is Rh-negative and the fetus's blood is Rh-positive. In this case, the mother's immune system may produce antibodies that can harm the fetus. ABO incompatibility, on the other hand, is less severe and usually only causes mild jaundice in the newborn.

2. What is the role of previous sensitization in Rh incompatibility?

Previous sensitization means that the mother's immune system has been exposed to Rh-positive blood before, either through a previous pregnancy or a blood transfusion. This exposure triggers the production of antibodies that can attack the fetus's blood in future pregnancies, causing Rh incompatibility.

3. Why does Rh incompatibility require a previous sensitization, but ABO incompatibility does not?

This is because the Rh factor is a protein found on the surface of red blood cells, while the ABO blood group system is based on different types of sugar molecules. The body is more likely to produce antibodies against foreign proteins, which is why previous sensitization is necessary for Rh incompatibility to occur.

4. Can Rh incompatibility be prevented?

Yes, Rh incompatibility can be prevented by administering a medication called Rh immunoglobulin (RhIg) to the mother during and after pregnancy. This medication helps to prevent the mother's immune system from producing antibodies against the fetus's Rh-positive blood.

5. Is Rh incompatibility more common than ABO incompatibility?

No, ABO incompatibility is actually more common than Rh incompatibility. This is because the ABO blood group system is more complex and has more variations, making it more likely for a mother and fetus to have different blood types. Rh incompatibility only occurs when the mother is Rh-negative and the father is Rh-positive.