Why Does Removing CO2 Make a NaHCO3 Solution More Basic?

• Thread starter Puchinita5
  • Start date
In summary, when solid NaHCO3 is added to water, the solution becomes basic. As the mixture is stirred or sits, bubbles of CO2 are released due to the reaction of HCO3- ions with each other, resulting in a decrease in the concentration of acid and an increase in the concentration of base. This leads to the solution becoming more basic as more CO2 is lost. The equation 2HCO3- ---> CO3^2- + H2CO3 shows the decrease in concentration of acid, while the equation H2CO3 <----> H20 + CO2 shows the release of CO2. This can be seen in the change in pH as well, with a decrease in acid leading to an
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

The question was:

When you add solid NaHCO3 to water the solution becomes basic. As you stir the mixture to dissolve all the NaHCO3 (or as the solution sits) bubbles of CO2 are released. This occures because HCO3- ions react with one another to a small extent according to:

2HCO3- ---> CO3^2- + H2CO3
H2CO3 <----> H20 + CO2

The conjugate acid/base of HCO3- are H2CO3 and CO3^2- respectively. When CO2 is lost from the solution, the concentration of _____ (acid/base) decreases. Therefore, the more CO2 that is lost, the ____(more/less) basic the solution becomes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the second equation, I want to say that if CO2 decreases, this would drive the reaction to the right to compensate for the loss, decreasing H2CO3, the acid. Therfore, the concentration of acid decreases and the solution becomes more basic. However, other students in my class for the most part disagreed with me, and I can't seem to find out what is the right answer. If I am right, can someone let me know? And if I am wrong, can someone explain to me why??

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right - when CO2 escapes the solution it is technically equivalent to removing part of the acid. pH must go up.

Change in amount of acid always means change in pH, and this change always go in the logical direction - more acid, lower pH, less acid, higher pH. When you start with NaOH solution exposed to the air quite the opposite happens - such solution absorbs CO2 from the air. That means adding acid, so pH goes down.

--
methods

Related to Why Does Removing CO2 Make a NaHCO3 Solution More Basic?

What is an acid/base solution?

An acid/base solution is a type of chemical solution that has a pH level lower than 7 for acids and higher than 7 for bases. It is also known as a pH solution or an aqueous solution.

What is the difference between an acid and a base?

The main difference between an acid and a base is their pH level. Acids have a lower pH level (less than 7) while bases have a higher pH level (greater than 7). Acids also tend to have a sour taste and can corrode metals, while bases have a bitter taste and can feel slippery.

How do you determine the pH of an acid/base solution?

The pH of an acid/base solution can be determined using a pH scale or by using a pH meter. The pH scale ranges from 0-14, with 0 being the most acidic and 14 being the most basic. A pH meter measures the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution to determine its pH level.

What are some common examples of acid/base solutions?

Some common examples of acid/base solutions include lemon juice (acid), baking soda (base), vinegar (acid), and ammonia (base). Other household cleaning products, such as bleach and drain cleaners, also fall under the category of acid/base solutions.

How do acid/base solutions affect our daily lives?

Acid/base solutions play a crucial role in our daily lives. They are used in various industries, such as food and beverage, agriculture, and manufacturing. They also have important applications in our bodies, such as regulating the pH levels in our blood and digestive system. Additionally, acid/base solutions are used in household cleaning products and for maintaining the pH balance in swimming pools.