Why does particle displacement A increase sound pressure?

In summary, when a particle undergoes displacement, it creates vibrations which travel through a medium, such as air, and result in a change in pressure. This change in pressure is known as sound pressure and it directly relates to the amplitude of the vibrations. Therefore, as the particle displacement increases, so does the amplitude of the vibrations, resulting in an increase in sound pressure. This is why particle displacement A leads to an increase in sound pressure.
luckis11
pressure=p(x,t)=BkAsin(kx-ωt)
http://www.physics.unomaha.edu/Sowell/phys2120/Lectures/Sound/Sound.pdf

Surely, when loudness-intensity-pressure increases, so does the maximum displacement A of the speaker.

Wrong thread title. My question is: Why increasing the maximum molecule displacement A increases sound pressure.

They also say that the A of the speaker is equal to the maximum displacement "A" of the molecule. Why that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

luckis11 said:
They also say that the A of the speaker is equal to the maximum displacement "A" of the molecule. Why that?

Because the situation is analogous to a person pushing on a box. The displacement of the person is equal to the displacement of the box, isn't it?

That's not an answer. I can understand the assumption that it is so for the molecule that is "always in contact" with the speaker (assuming something per average etc as it moves before the speker starts moving). But why should this apply for all other molecules too?

Last edited:
luckis11 said:
...But why should this apply for all other molecules too?

Because each molecule acts as a speaker for the next one?...

You could say that it is an assumption. The assumption then allows for a model that is sufficiently close to reality, where each molecule has an average position.

You may also want to read about the model for sound waves in solids which is closely related: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonon

What about my first question: (assuming that the A of the speaker is equal to the A of each molecule):Why increasing the maximum molecule displacement A increases sound pressure?

Is it because when the A of the molecule increases then the maximum speed
umax=(√(k/m))A=ωΑ=2πfA and all other speeds also increase? And if indeed so, then that's the only reason?

luckis11 said:
What about my first question: (assuming that the A of the speaker is equal to the A of each molecule):Why increasing the maximum molecule displacement A increases sound pressure?

Is it because when the A of the molecule increases then the maximum speed
umax=(√(k/m))A=ωΑ=2πfA and all other speeds also increase? And if indeed so, then that's the only reason?

Ok, the basic model is this. Picture a row of molecules end to end. Each one has an average position that is fixed and it is allowed to oscillate left and right about that position. The displacement is called y (which may be - or +). The MAXIMUM displacement is A (when y = A or y = -A). This (+ a few other conditions) is called the harmonic oscillator model and it is used all throughout physics for all kinds of waves because it allows relatively simple calculations with sines and cosines and gives results that are often very close to reality. The assumption is thus a very classical and fundamental one. You get a lot of physics for relatively little math.

Now that slide on pressure. V is volume and S is the area of a plane parallel to the speaker. B is the bulk modulus of the medium (air). The math shown is then pretty straightforward. The end result pmax=BkA simply shows that if A increases, so must pmax, linearly. You just can't argue with that math.

I am not arguing with the math. I am asking what they are claiming. If you do not know the answer do not answer me that "there is an answer".

B is constant, so does k, right and the function of sin can only take values between 1 and -1, right? So the Pmax and (?) the Σ|p(t)|dt of a period or half a period, is dependent on A only. And I am asking why that. One answer is that the max speed of each molecule increases as A increases, and its average speed doubles when A doubles because the period T remains the same (see also the simulation http://www.ngsir.netfirms.com/englishhtm/Lwave.htm )
So its seems that the reason is the increase of speed of the molecules (note that all molecules in a wavefront are moving towards the same direction as the wavefront). So I am asking whether I concluded correctly and whether the increase of their speed is the only reason. And because I get such answers from physicists, now I changed my mind and I AM "arguing with the math". The doubling of the speed just because the A of the speker doubled a little, means that there is a considerable increase at temperature, which is false or at least it seems to contradict that "the speed of sound in air is 343 for room temperature no matter what the speaker does". So what's going on: What have I grasped wrong or what is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
luckis11 said:
I am not arguing with the math. I am asking what they are claiming. If you do not know the answer do not answer me that "there is an answer".

Not saying you are, I just didn't see what you wanted more.

luckis11 said:
B is constant, so does k, right and the function of sin can only take values between 1 and -1, right?

Yes.

luckis11 said:
So the Pmax and (?) the Σ|p(t)|dt of a period or half a period, is dependent on A only.

Pmax depends on BkA, it's the only I can say it, and all three constants have equal ponderation.

luckis11 said:
And I am asking why that.

I say it's because of the math. You're looking for something else.

luckis11 said:
One answer is that the max speed of each molecule increases as A increases, and its average speed doubles when A doubles because the period T remains the same (see also the simulation http://www.ngsir.netfirms.com/englishhtm/Lwave.htm ) So its seems that the reason is the increase of speed of the molecules (note that all molecules in a wavefront are moving towards the same direction as the wavefront). So I am asking whether I concluded correctly and whether the increase of their speed is the only reason.

The RMS speed of the molecules does increase, and that would increase the pressure, but I think that this is beyond the scope, and besides the point, of the talk.

luckis11 said:
And because I get such answers from physicists, now I changed my mind and I AM "arguing with the math".

This was unexpected. If you were offended, it was not my intention.

luckis11 said:
"The doubling of the speed just because the A of the speker doubled a little, means that there is a considerable increase at temperature, which is false or at least it seems to contradict that "the speed of sound in air is 343 for room temperature no matter what the speaker does". So what's going on: What have I grasped wrong or what is wrong.

Personnally, I would not take the temperature into account, because IMO, for each area of increased pressure, there is an area of decreased pressure as well, so that if you were to calculate T(x), the average temperature along x would be the same whether or not there was a wave.

I thank you sir for giving me the opportunity to review sound, and I hope I was at least a little helpful.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Personnally, I would not take the temperature into account, because IMO, for each area of increased pressure, there is an area of decreased pressure as well, so that if you were to calculate T(x), the average temperature along x would be the same whether or not there was a wave.

Excuse me?

Related to Why does particle displacement A increase sound pressure?

1. Why does particle displacement A increase sound pressure?

Particle displacement A increases sound pressure because it directly affects the amplitude of the sound wave. The more particles that are displaced, the larger the amplitude of the wave and the higher the sound pressure.

2. What causes particle displacement A to increase?

Particle displacement A can increase due to various factors such as the source of the sound, the medium through which the sound travels, and the distance from the sound source. It can also be affected by the frequency and intensity of the sound wave.

3. How does particle displacement A relate to sound intensity?

Particle displacement A and sound intensity are directly proportional. This means that as particle displacement A increases, the sound intensity also increases. This is because a larger displacement of particles results in a larger amplitude of the sound wave, which translates to a higher intensity.

4. Is there a limit to how much particle displacement A can increase sound pressure?

Yes, there is a limit to how much particle displacement A can increase sound pressure. This limit is known as the threshold of pain, where the sound pressure becomes so high that it can cause physical harm to the human ear.

5. Can particle displacement A affect the pitch of a sound?

Yes, particle displacement A can affect the pitch of a sound. The pitch of a sound is determined by the frequency of the sound wave, which can be altered by changes in particle displacement A. This is why different instruments and voices have different pitches, as they produce sound waves with different frequencies caused by varying levels of particle displacement A.