Why Does Only n=4 Satisfy the Equation g(n)=n-2 in Euler's Totient Function?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poirot1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the Euler totient function, specifically showing that only n=4 satisfies g(n)=n-2. The individuals in the conversation provide various proofs and approaches, including a parity argument and a proof using prime factorization. Ultimately, it is shown that the prime factorization of n must be of the form 2^k * p_alpha^k_alpha, where k>0 and the p_alpha are the odd prime factors of n, leading to the conclusion that n=4 is the only solution.
Poirot1
I am having difficulty with the following question. Show that only n=4 satisfies g(n)=n-2, where g is the euler totient function. Well,firstly g(4)=2=4-2.

Supposing that g(n)=n-2 for some n, we see that n is not 1 or 2, so that g(n) is even.

Therefore n=g(n)+2 is even. If we suppose that n has no odd prime divisors, then we find

that g(n)=n-2 implies n=4. So it remains to consider the case where n does have odd

prime divisors, and derive a contradiction. Can anyone furnish this elusive contradiction?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: another totient function problem.

Hmm, interesting problem. I believe I have a proof for when $n$ has at least one odd factor and is a multiple of $2^k$ for $k > 1$, but the missing case for $n = 2r$ with odd $r$ eludes me at this time. Also, $n$ must be even, since $\varphi{(n)}$ is always even for $n > 2$.​

Bacterius said:
Hmm, interesting problem. I believe I have a proof for when $n$ has at least one odd factor and is a multiple of $2^k$ for $k > 1$, but the missing case for $n = 2r$ with odd $r$ eludes me at this time. Also, $n$ must be even, since $\varphi{(n)}$ is always even for $n > 2$.​

This question (and the similar questions I have been posting) are from past exams , and they should be of moderate difficulty. While I have no doubt your proofs are fine Bacterius, your arguments seem slighty too involved. I noted that Chisigma seemed to get the answer quickly on this thread http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f27/find-all-positive-integers-4526/, but he did not explain his reasoning.

Poirot said:
This question (and the similar questions I have been posting) are from past exams , and they should be of moderate difficulty. While I have no doubt your proofs are fine Bacterius, your arguments seem slighty too involved. I noted that Chisigma seemed to get the answer quickly on this thread http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f27/find-all-positive-integers-4526/, but he did not explain his reasoning.

Actually the semi-proof I have in mind for this one is simple (it's a parity argument). But as it is now, it doesn't prove every case, unfortunately. If you mean the other thread, yes, my reasoning was a little long-winded on that one :confused:

Here it is, anyway. You've shown that $n$ must be even, and except for $n = 4$, it has at least one odd factor. Rewrite:

$$n = 2^k \cdot r ~ ~ \text{for some odd} ~ r > 2 ~ \text{and some} ~ k > 1$$
Then we have:

$$n - 2 = 2 \left ( 2^{k - 1} \cdot r - 1 \right ) ~ ~ \text{and} ~ ~ \varphi{(n)} = 2^{k - 1} \cdot \varphi{(r)}$$
Now recall $\varphi{(r)}$ is even since $r > 2$ and therefore we can let:

$$n - 2 = \varphi{(n)} ~ ~ \implies ~ ~ 2 \left ( 2^{k - 1} \cdot r - 1 \right ) = 2^{k - 1} \cdot \varphi{(r)} ~ ~ \implies ~ ~ 2^{k - 1} \cdot r - 1 = 2^{k - 1} \frac{\varphi{(r)}}{2}$$
Since $k > 1$, the LHS is odd, the RHS is even, and we have a contradiction.

So we are left with the case $k = 1$, that is, $2$ divides $n$ only once. I am stuck here :confused: There must be some simple trick though, since you said the problems are easy, so perhaps I am just missing something trivial. It would be enough that $\varphi{(r)}$ be divisible by $4$, I believe, so this would leave the case $n = 2p$ for some prime $p$ such that $p \equiv 3 \pmod{4}$ :rolleyes: (perhaps consider the equation modulo $4$? I need to sleep now, though)

Last edited:
Poirot said:
I am having difficulty with the following question. Show that only n=4 satisfies g(n)=n-2, where g is the euler totient function. Well,firstly g(4)=2=4-2.

Supposing that g(n)=n-2 for some n, we see that n is not 1 or 2, so that g(n) is even.

Therefore n=g(n)+2 is even. If we suppose that n has no odd prime divisors, then we find

that g(n)=n-2 implies n=4. So it remains to consider the case where n does have odd

prime divisors, and derive a contradiction. Can anyone furnish this elusive contradiction?
I have not read through all the replies, so I am not sure if this has already been done. You have shown that the prime factorisation of $n$ must be of the form $n = 2^k\prod_\alpha p_\alpha^{k_\alpha}$, where $k>0$ and the $p_\alpha$ are the odd prime factors of $n$, if any. Then $g(n) = 2^{k-1}\prod_\alpha p_\alpha^{k_\alpha-1}(p_\alpha - 1)$. But $\prod_\alpha p_\alpha^{k_\alpha-1}(p_\alpha - 1) \leqslant \prod_\alpha p_\alpha^{k_\alpha}$ (with equality occurring only when the product is empty!). Therefore $g(n) \leqslant \frac12n$ and hence $n-2 \leqslant \frac12n$, which only occurs when $n\leqslant 4.$

Related to Why Does Only n=4 Satisfy the Equation g(n)=n-2 in Euler's Totient Function?

1. What is the totient function equation?

The totient function equation, also known as Euler's totient function, is an arithmetic function that counts the positive integers up to a given integer n that are relatively prime to n. It is denoted by the symbol φ(n).

2. How is the totient function equation calculated?

The totient function equation is calculated by finding the number of positive integers less than n that are coprime to n. This can be done by finding the prime factors of n, and then using a formula involving those prime factors to calculate the totient value.

3. What is the significance of the totient function equation?

The totient function equation has applications in number theory, cryptography, and other fields of mathematics. It is used to solve problems involving modular arithmetic, and is also an important tool in the RSA encryption algorithm.

4. What is the relationship between the totient function equation and prime numbers?

There is a relationship between the totient function equation and prime numbers. In particular, if n is a prime number, then φ(n) = n-1. This is because all positive integers less than n are relatively prime to n when n is prime.

5. What are some real-life applications of the totient function equation?

The totient function equation has practical applications in cryptography, as it is used to generate public and private keys in the RSA encryption algorithm. It is also used in prime number generation and in solving problems related to modular arithmetic.