Why Does My N-type FET Behave Like a P-type?

In summary, this device appears to be a back-gate FET, with P-type semiconductor as the gate and N-type semiconductor as the drain. The device was tested with an HP4156A analyzer, and the results showed that the channel was n-type, which is consistent with the PMOS behavior you measured.
slkms1
Hi,

I fabricated a very simple back-gate FET.

I used highly Boron doped (so, P-type) Si wafer as a gate and then, grown SiO2 thermally as a dielectric. And, deposited N-type semiconductor followed by Au/Cr deposition as electrodes (source and drain).

And I measured Ids-Vds and Ids-Vg. The results show the graphs of typical P-type semiconductor, even though N type semiconductor was used.

I'm struggling to understand it but haven't yet.

Is it possible this is because of highly doped P-type Si gate?

(I looked for several reference and found that all used the same types of semiconductor and gate (i.e. highly doped n type Si gate + n-type semiconductor or highly doped p type Si gate + p-type semiconductor)

Or is there anything I should check?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
By backgate FET do you mean there is electrode in the channel for threshold voltage control?
Can you describe the Ids-Vg(s?) test circuit?

You didn't mention the body connection. You might want to check that.

Thanks for your comment, es1.

the attached picture shows the device.
(my goal is to get electrical characteristics for N-type semiconductor)

I believe that 'source' acted as a common electrode but I'm not sure I drew the connections between gate-source and drain-source correctly because I used pre-setting for measurement.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,534
Last edited:
Hi Can you provide the following.
What is the test circuit ?
What is the gate oxide thickness?

Dear, rakeshgarg123

Unfortunately, I don't know the test circuit exactly

I used HP4156A analyzer and default setting for FET.

SiO2 thickness is 100 nm.

Is this not enough to understand my problem?

Sorry slkms1. I am not familiar with that structure of a FET so I don't think I'll be able to help much after all.

It kind of looks like a more typical FET, but just upside down and possibly without substrate. Is that right? Or maybe the blue boxes represent what would typically be considered the substrate?

One thing that seemed off to me. The channel SI between the source and drain is n-type according to the drawing label. Isn't that consistent with the PMOS (I assume that's what is meant by p-type) behavior you measured?

Last edited:
After rereading your post I am pretty sure you did build a PMOS.

You have an n-type channel and metal barrier diodes at the S and D terminals.
I have the distinct feeling that I am missing something obvious but I am pretty sure this is consistent with a PMOS.

And it looks like the HP4156A agrees.

See the PMOS vs NMOS cross sections here:
http://www.circuitstoday.com/mosfet-technology

Related to Why Does My N-type FET Behave Like a P-type?

1. What is a back-gate Si on FET?

A back-gate Si on FET (Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of transistor that uses a silicon (Si) layer as the back gate material. The back gate is connected to the substrate of the transistor and controls the flow of current through the device.

2. What are the advantages of using a back-gate Si on FET?

The use of a back-gate Si on FET allows for better control over the transistor's performance, as the back gate can modulate the electric field in the channel region. This results in improved device efficiency and reduced power consumption.

3. How does a back-gate Si on FET differ from other types of FETs?

A back-gate Si on FET differs from other types of FETs in that it uses a silicon layer as the back gate material, whereas other FETs may use materials such as metal or polysilicon. Additionally, the placement of the back gate in a back-gate Si on FET allows for better control over the transistor's operation.

4. What applications are back-gate Si on FETs commonly used in?

Back-gate Si on FETs are commonly used in applications that require high performance and low power consumption, such as in integrated circuits for mobile devices, microprocessors, and other electronic devices.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of using a back-gate Si on FET?

One potential drawback of using a back-gate Si on FET is the complexity of the manufacturing process, which can lead to higher production costs. Additionally, the back gate can introduce parasitic capacitance, which can affect the transistor's performance if not properly controlled.