Why Does My Ideal Gas Law Calculation Differ from the Textbook?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the pressure of a gas using the ideal-gas equation. The person attempted to solve the problem multiple times but kept getting the wrong answer. After receiving some help, they realized their mistake and were able to solve the problem correctly.
sghaussi
hello all. I'm trying to figure out this problem and it's bugging me because it's soooo simple yet i keep getting the wrong answer. here's the problem:

If 1.00 mol of carbon dioxide gas at 350 K is confined to a volume of 400 cubic centimeters, find the pressure of the gas using the ideal-gas equation.

Okay.. I know that the ideal gas equation will look like this if I am solving for pressure:

p = (nRT)/V

since I want pressure in pascals, then I will convert volume V to cubic meters, and for R constant I will use R = 8.3145 J/mol K

so far this is the information I have:

R = 8.3145 J/mol K
T = 350 K
n = 1.00 mol
V = 4 cubic meters

When I try and solve for pressure, I get 727.5 pascals. I did this 5 times, and I keet getting the same answer. however the book is telling me I'm wrong. Am I not understanding this correct? could this be one of those times the book is wrong? I hope someone can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your conversion into cubic metres is incorrect, remember it is cubic:

Therefore;

0.0004m^3

Use that value for volume and you should calculate the correct answer, which is 7275187Pa or 7.3MPa.

Last edited:
V = 400 cm^3 = 400 * (10^-2 m)^3 = 400 * 10^-6 m^3 = 0.0004 m^3
I think this is correct value of the volume and if you put it into ideal gas equation you'll get the right answer (i think).

thanks to the both of you for your help. i was able to figure it out.. silly mistake. =) night!

Related to Why Does My Ideal Gas Law Calculation Differ from the Textbook?

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, also known as the general gas equation, is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of an ideal gas. It relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas in a closed system. The equation is PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the amount of gas in moles, R is the universal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What is the significance of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics and is used to understand the behavior of gases under different conditions. It helps scientists predict and analyze the changes in a gas's properties when one of the variables, such as temperature or pressure, is altered. It is also used in various scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

How does the ideal gas law relate to pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, pressure and volume are inversely proportional to each other, meaning that when one increases, the other decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as Boyle's Law. The ideal gas law also states that pressure and temperature are directly proportional, meaning that when one increases, the other increases as well. This relationship is known as Gay-Lussac's Law.

What happens to the pressure of an ideal gas when the volume is decreased?

According to Boyle's Law, when the volume of an ideal gas is decreased, the pressure will increase, assuming that the temperature and amount of gas remain constant. This can be observed in everyday life, for example, when a bike pump is used to inflate a tire, the pressure inside the tire increases as the volume decreases.

How does the ideal gas law explain the relationship between temperature and pressure?

According to Gay-Lussac's Law, when the temperature of an ideal gas increases, the pressure will also increase, assuming that the volume and amount of gas remain constant. This can be observed in many real-life situations, such as when a balloon is left in a hot car, the pressure inside the balloon increases, and it may even pop if the temperature gets too high.