Why Does My Brain Question Me After Exams?

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain Jerk
In summary, the conversation discusses the feeling of being unable to think or respond in certain situations, such as when asked a question by a boss or when presented with a joke. It also mentions the idea of test anxiety and how negative emotions can affect our ability to think clearly. The conversation also touches on the role of the brain and how it can sometimes hinder our thinking.
Dembadon
Gold Member
ScreenShot2011-12-16at51138PM.png

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Does this happen to anyone else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dembadon said:

Think of it as prep for the rest of your life.

Your boss asks you how to solve some trivial problem and you just go all dumb? :mad: :mad: :mad:

The most incredibly attractive, most intelligent member of the opposite sex makes a blatant proposal that just goes zing! right over your head? :mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't get it. Why does that make your brain into [itex]\frac{da}{dt}[/itex]?? :confused:

Please do not send me hate mail about how lame my jokes are.

micromass said:
:smile:

Dembadon said:
ScreenShot2011-12-16at51138PM.png

Dem,

Yep, in college a number of times, textbook recommendations are here and reasons you may blank out are http://www.heartmath.com/personal-use/overcoming-test-anxiety.html.
These negative emotions can lead test takers to feel overwhelmed. When that happens, anxiety creates a kind of "noise" or mental static in the brain that blocks our ability to retrieve what's stored in memory, and it also greatly impairs our ability to comprehend and reason.
Are you buying this ?

Rhody...

It's because you have two brains, and in right handed people the left "brain" (hemisphere) is dominant. This makes the right "brain" jealous and rebellious and it's constantly plotting against what the left brain is trying to do.
Don't take this too seriously, but:

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleid=115958

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
I don't get it. Why does that make your brain into [itex]\frac{da}{dt}[/itex]?? :confused:

I love your humor and jokes! Sometimes I'm not smart enough to understand them right away. :smile:

That's a fine looking brain.

Brains. Can't live without them. Can't live with them.

(If I had a nickel for every time a student asked me a question in class and I couldn't come up with an answer until ten minutes after class...)

Dembadon said:

Lots of people... probably most people at one time or another.

For me the trick is to stay 100% focused on one thing at a time.

I walked out of my Statics final a few days ago with LOTS of time to spare. I finished in 1 hour out of 3, looked over everything for a 20 min, then left.Me- "Man, I feel great about that final. I'm glad I got out early too."

Brain- "What about the friction on the bottom of that wedge?"

Me- "D'oh. Why didn't you say something?"

Brain- "Me? Oh, I'm too shy to say anything in class."

Related to Why Does My Brain Question Me After Exams?

1. What do you mean by "my brain is a controlling jerk"?

By this statement, I mean that our brains have a tendency to overthink and overanalyze situations, leading us to make impulsive and sometimes harmful decisions.

2. Is it normal to feel like my brain is controlling me?

Yes, it is a common experience to feel like our thoughts and emotions are controlling us. Our brains are constantly processing information and trying to make sense of the world, which can sometimes lead to feelings of being out of control.

3. How can I stop my brain from being a controlling jerk?

Practicing mindfulness and being aware of our thoughts can help us recognize when our brains are trying to control us. Engaging in activities that bring us joy and relaxation can also help quiet our minds and decrease the feeling of being controlled.

4. Can my brain's controlling behavior be changed?

Yes, with practice and awareness, we can rewire our brains to have more control over our thoughts and emotions. This can be done through therapy, mindfulness techniques, and other self-care practices.

5. Are there any benefits to my brain being a controlling jerk?

While our brains' controlling tendencies can be frustrating, they also serve a purpose in helping us make decisions and navigate the world. However, it is important to find a balance and not let our brains' control take over our lives.