Why does l'hopital's rule work?

In summary, L'Hopital's rule is a method for evaluating limits involving indeterminate forms. It is based on the concept of derivatives and the ratio of the instantaneous rates of change of two functions at a particular point. This can help provide an intuitive understanding of the rule and its applications. Additionally, some have drawn connections between L'Hopital's rule and Taylor series, but the exact relationship is still unclear.
Terrell
What is the intuition behind it? when i watch videos of people using l'hopital's rule. i can only deduce that they're only taking derivatives over and over again until a number comes out and that becomes the limit. how can a tangent slope be a value for a limit? Please give me an intuitive explanation. I'm a novice with abstract explanations. thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Drakkith
If ##f(a) = g(a) = 0## then it's as simple as:

##lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{(f(x) - f(a)/(x-a)}{(g(x) - g(a))/(x-a)} = \frac{f'(a)}{g'(a)}##

That's the essence of it, anyway.

Likes Ssnow, SammyS and Terrell
PeroK said:

##lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{(f(x) - f(a)/(x-a)}{(g(x) - g(a))/(x-a)} = \frac{f'(a)}{g'(a)}##

wow! fascinating! lol...

PeroK said:

This formula is intuitive and really drives home what a derivative actually is. Thanks for sharing it.
f(x) - f(a) is really a fancy way of saying change of y, denoted as Δy, or in other words, y2 - y1. Similarly, x - a is a fancy way of writing change in x, denoted Δx, or in other words x2 - x1.
As "x" approaches "a" the change in x gets smaller, and so does the change in y. When we had to find slopes in algebra we had to use a point-slope form, which was (y2-y1) / (x2-x1). We can apply this same concept to non-linear functions, and when we make "x" really close to "a" then we get a more accurate approximation of the slope of the curve. Furthermore, a first derivative is the SLOPE of the line tangent to a function, and where this tangent line touches the function the two functions are said to have the same slope. In other words, when a=x we then have an instantaneous rate of change; a derivative. In short, I love all the implications from this formula.

I am not sure why L'Hopital's rule works, but I do know that you must first observe a limit to yield an indeterminate form (0/0, ∞/∞, etc) before you can apply L'Hopital's rule. The formula PeroK provided is interesting because it makes a ratio of the instantaneous rate of change of function f to the instantaneous rate of change of function g at the same point "a". Maybe because f(x) divided by g(x) is a ratio, looking at the slopes of each function (and the ratio of the slopes at a particular "a" value) can provide logical insights. When I think of L'Hopital's Rule, I can't help but think of Taylor series (which is a summation of derivatives (of derivatives) and corresponding polynomials, which approximate a given function at a value x near the center of the function). Although a strange thought, can anyone relate Taylor series to L'Hopital's Rule?

Last edited:

Related to Why does l'hopital's rule work?

1. What is l'hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule, also known as the rule of de L'Hospital, is a mathematical theorem used for evaluating indeterminate forms. It states that the limit of a ratio of two functions that both approach zero or infinity can be evaluated by finding the limit of the ratio of their derivatives.

2. Why is l'hopital's rule useful?

L'Hopital's rule is useful because it provides an efficient way to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, which are expressions that cannot be evaluated using direct substitution. It is particularly helpful in calculus, where finding limits is a crucial part of solving many problems.

3. How does l'hopital's rule work?

L'Hopital's rule works by replacing the original indeterminate form with a ratio of the derivatives of the two functions involved. This new ratio usually has a simpler form that can be evaluated directly, providing the limit of the original expression.

4. When can l'hopital's rule be applied?

L'Hopital's rule can be applied when the limit of a ratio of two functions is in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It can also be used when the limit can be rewritten as an indeterminate form, such as ∞ - ∞ or 0 x ∞.

5. Are there any limitations to using l'hopital's rule?

Yes, there are limitations to using l'Hopital's rule. It can only be applied to limits involving indeterminate forms, and it is not guaranteed to work in all cases. Additionally, it may not work for limits involving more complex functions or for limits where both the numerator and denominator approach zero or infinity at different rates.