Why Does Integrating |f(x)| Differ from Integrating f(x)?

In summary, Integrals of expressions like this are usually assumed to be equal to the integral of f(x) without the absolute value, but this is not always the case.
JuanC97
I know that [tex] \sqrt{f(x)^2} = |f(x)| [/tex] However...
I've just noticed that integrals of expressions like this are usually assumed to be equal to the integral of f(x) without the absolute value. I'd like to know how that's possible.

Is weird for me to consider those expressions; specially because of what Minkowski's inequality says about it:
[tex] \int{|f(x)|\,dx} \leq \left| \;{\int{f(x)dx}}\; \right| [/tex]

In general, I would expect the integral without the absolute value to be different from the "absolute-valued" one.
Check, for example:

[tex] \int_\pi^{3\pi/2} |\sin(x)| \, dx [/tex] shouldn't give a negative value as a result, however, that's what WolframAlpha gives me. [Just like if it were ignoring the absolute value and just integrating sin(x) ]

Physics news on Phys.org
JuanC97 said:
Is weird for me to consider those expressions; specially because of what Minkowski's inequality says about it:
I don't think this is correct. Shouldn't you take the inequality the other way around?

Likes SammyS
JuanC97 said:
I know that [tex] \sqrt{f(x)^2} = |f(x)| [/tex] However...
I've just noticed that integrals of expressions like this are usually assumed to be equal to the integral of f(x) without the absolute value. I'd like to know how that's possible.

In general, I would expect the integral without the absolute value to be different from the "absolute-valued" one.
Check, for example:

[tex] \int_\pi^{3\pi/2} |\sin(x)| \, dx [/tex] shouldn't give a negative value as a result, however, that's what WolframAlpha gives me. [Just like if it were ignoring the absolute value and just integrating sin(x) ]
as tommyxu3 pointed out, your inequality is in the wrong direction (just a typo, I am sure).

If Wolfram alpha does it as if there was no absolute (and gives a negative answer for that integral), then it is simply wrong (or there is something incorrect in th away you input the integrand). You are correct that on cannot ignore the absolute sign if we integrate over a region where the integrand may take negative values.

Likes JuanC97
tommyxu3 said:
Shouldn't you take the inequality the other way around?
You're right, sorry for that.
nrqed said:
You are correct that on cannot ignore the absolute sign if we integrate over a region where the integrand may take negative values.
That's what common sense says to me too, but, there are two specific cases where I can't do that:

1. Trigonometric substitutions:
Let's say this one: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/difficult-integral-for-trig-substitution.301301/#post-2126338
There, sqrt{4tan^2(x)} is assumed to be 2tan(x).

2. Integrals of volume:
Any volume results from the integration of the product of the corresponding "scale factors" in the specific orthogonal system that you're working on.
If you have spherical polar coordinates:
x = r sin(t) cos(p)
y = r sin(t) sin(p)
z = r cos(t)
The first scale factor (h1) corresponds to the square root of sum of squares of the derivatives of each variable {x,y,z} with respect to r. The second one is the same but, with respect to t. The last one is with respect to p. Taking that into account, h1=1, h2=|r|, h3=|r sin(t)|. Clearly different from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_coordinates#Table_of_orthogonal_coordinates

Probably there are another examples but those are pretty illustrative.

JuanC97 said:
You're right, sorry for that.

That's what common sense says to me too, but, there are two specific cases where I can't do that:

2. Integrals of volume:
Any volume results from the integration of the product of the corresponding "scale factors" in the specific orthogonal system that you're working on.
If you have spherical polar coordinates:
x = r sin(t) cos(p)
y = r sin(t) sin(p)
z = r cos(t)
The first scale factor (h1) corresponds to the square root of sum of squares of the derivatives of each variable {x,y,z} with respect to r. The second one is the same but, with respect to t. The last one is with respect to p. Taking that into account, h1=1, h2=|r|, h3=|r sin(t)|. Clearly different from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_coordinates#Table_of_orthogonal_coordinates

Probably there are another examples but those are pretty illustrative.
Let's talk about this last case first. Note that ##r## is always larger or equal to zero so ##|r| = r##. Note also that ##\theta## is between 0 and ##\pi## radians so ##| \sin \theta | = \sin \theta ##. Or maybe I am misunderstanding your point?

Likes JuanC97
nrqed said:
Note that r is always larger or equal to zero so |r|=r. Note also that θ is between 0 and pi radians so |sinθ|=sinθ.

That was in fact, what I was missing, thanks for pointing it out. :wink:
For sure, a really important thing to keep in mind.

Related to Why Does Integrating |f(x)| Differ from Integrating f(x)?

What is an integral?

An integral is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the area under a curve between two points on a graph. It is used to find the total value or quantity of a function.

How are integrals calculated?

Integrals are calculated using a process called integration, which involves finding the antiderivative of a given function and evaluating it at the two points of interest. This process can be done analytically, using formulas and rules, or numerically, using approximation methods.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning it calculates the area under a curve between two points. An indefinite integral does not have limits and represents the general antiderivative of a function, which can have multiple possible values depending on the constant of integration.

What are the applications of integrals?

Integrals have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. They are used to calculate displacement, velocity, acceleration, work, and other physical quantities. They can also be used to find the area, volume, and center of mass of irregular shapes and to solve optimization problems.

What are the common techniques for evaluating integrals?

The most common techniques for evaluating integrals are substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. These techniques allow us to simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve.