Why Does Gauss's Law Give Zero Flux for a Point Charge Inside a Sphere?

In summary, the issue with calculating the flux through a sphere with a point charge at the center using Gauss's law is that the divergence of the electric field is not defined at the origin. This is due to the discontinuity caused by the point charge. To properly calculate the flux, the Dirac delta function needs to be included in the volume integral.
eok20
i know that the flux through a sphere with a point charge at the center is non-zero [tex]\left( \frac{q}{\epsilon_0}\right) [/tex] but if I wanted to calculate this using Guass's law I would take the divergence of [tex] E=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^2}\hat{r}[/tex] which is 0 so I would get the flux to be 0. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem lies in the fact that you are using a point charge. Discontinuities such as these are commonly represented by the Dirac delta function that is defined as follows (for 3 dimensions).

[tex] \int_{V} \delta(r) d\tau = 1 [/tex]

where V is any volume that contains the origin. Also;

[tex] \delta(r) = 0 [/tex] for r not equal to 0
[tex] \delta(r) = \infty [/tex] for r equal to 0

The problem is that when you calculate the divergence, it does not include the origin (since at the origin you are effectively dividing by zero). When the charged sphere has a finite radius, this is not a problem, because the contribution from the origin is infinitesimally small. In the case of the point charge however, the entire contribution is coming from the origin, hence the original error.

To fix this, you need to include the Dirac delta function when you calculate the volume integral.

Claude.

Last edited:

Related to Why Does Gauss's Law Give Zero Flux for a Point Charge Inside a Sphere?

What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of electric field through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is defined as the product of the electric field and the area of the surface it passes through, with the direction of the field perpendicular to the surface.

What is Gauss's law?

Gauss's law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the distribution of electric charges. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux can be calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector. This can be represented mathematically as Φ = E ∙ A, where E is the electric field and A is the surface area vector. The resulting value is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given surface.

What is the unit of electric flux?

The unit of electric flux is the volt-meter (V m) in SI units. It can also be expressed in terms of other units, such as N m²/C (newton meter squared per coulomb) or kg m³/s³A (kilogram meter cubed per second cubed ampere).

How is Gauss's law applied in practical situations?

Gauss's law is applied in many practical situations, such as calculating the electric field inside a charged sphere or determining the electric field of a point charge. It is also used in determining the electric field of more complex charge distributions, such as a charged cylinder or a charged plane. Additionally, Gauss's law is used in the design and analysis of many electrical devices, such as capacitors and electromagnets.